Blakes Labor Story By Hannah Print
Birth Stories - Young Mothers Birth Stories
Thursday, 05 February 2009 15:37
In early November of 1998, I found out that my boyfriend at the time was addicted to drugs, and had to return home out of state to go through rehab and N.A. Me being young wanted to do anything I could to keep him here with me. So I said I was pregnant. On the way to his house to try and keep him from leaving, I stopped at the grocery store to get a pregnancy test, just in case I was. At this time I was no more than 3 days late for my period. So I went in the bathroom of the store and took it. Waited about two minutes, then saw two lines. Pregnant I was. So I rushed to his house to show him the test. After a long night with him in the ER, trying to prove to him, yes I was indeed pregnant. He went on his way home, to go to rehab.

I was 16 years old, and had no idea what was ahead of me. In December of 1998, with only 1 month of rehab, he returned home to me. I was doing great with my pregnancy, no morning sickness or anything yet. In Janurary of 1999, we got our own apartment. We were starting to get our lives together, the best that any young couple could.

In March of 1999, we got married, in a small but beautiful wedding chaple, with very few family members. The pregnancy was going great, the baby was just starting to let me know he was around, by making little kicks every once in a while.

In May of 1999, My family through me a baby shower at a resturant my dad was managing. I was overwhelmed with pooh gifts, toys, and clothes. My due date was scheduled to be July 19th 1999. Doctors appts. were coming to be quite regularly. In the middle of May, I went in for an ultrasound to check the baby's health, with both of my parents in the room, the nurse said "Its a little boy". My mom and dad were both in tears, the whole pregnancy I had this sneaking suspision that I was having a boy. So I was elated to find out the wonderful news!

Months just flew by, July was sneaking up on me too fast. Once July 15th hit, the days felt like eternity, I was still having no contractions, no pain. The 19th flew right by, just like another day. On the 25th I went in to the doctors to see if I was dialated enough to be induced. I was only at 1cm. The doctor advised me that I had to wait until I was dialated to at least 3cm. So, I scheduled yet another appt.

On the 27th I came in, The doctor examined me, said I was dialated to 2cm, and they were going to follow through with inducing me the next day. I arrived at the hospital at 7:30 a.m. to find that my dad had been waiting there for a while. After about 2 hours in the room, the doc finally came in too see me. He tried breaking my water, but all it did was cause bleeding and pain. He decided to put me on the I.V. drip to start contractions.

Around 10:30 a.m. my water broke as soon as my husband decided to go take a walk. Noon, contractions started coming on fairly strong, but still not painful. Hours flew by, with no epidural, just a little pain killer was all.

Around 7:00 p.m. I was in transition. The babys heartbeat was starting to act strange. I remember falling asleep bewteen the contractions, and waking up to a nurse telling me "roll to your left side, to your right, now get up on both knees" I remember yelling saying it hurt too bad. I was starting to get the urge to push, but I couldn't I was only dialated to 7cm. I remember very clearly the horrifying moment of the nurse saying " We have to take her now, the baby's heartbeats dropping fast"

My husband horrifed, was asking franticly if he could go, I knew he could'nt but I could not get the words out to tell him. He tried following them into surgery, my dad holding him back. I was gone.

At the minute he was born, lightning struck, and thunder rolled. Next thing I remember is laying on a bed, not knowing where I was. With a big oxygen mask on my face. People were standing all around me, all I could see was faint images of them. The only words I could get out of my mouth, was "Is my baby ok, and is he cute". After I was settled into my room, my husband got a call from the nursery. All I remember was his storming out the door. He came back later to let me know, the baby had turned blue, but they had him breathing again.

A day and a half went by and I still was unable to see my new little boy. For reasons of, I was unable to walk because of surgery, and he had to stay in the nursery because of not breathing. On the end of that long day, I got to hold my baby boy, the most precious gift God had ever given me.

On the third day, we were both released from the hospital. Although it was raining, lightning and thundering. It was the most beautiful day in my life. I had my baby home! Blake is now almost 7 months old, doing great. The happiest baby I could have ever asked for.

Daddy, has been clean (off drugs) for 1 year and four months now. I, am now 17 years old. Going to start college soon, for my degree in criminal justice. Daddy, also has plans to go back to school. We are all doing great. Age is only a number that people use.