Birth Story By Lisa Blair Print
Birth Stories - VBAC Stories
Monday, 17 November 2008 09:59
     My first pregnancy was perfect until the 33rd week. My baby was fine - it was me that they were worried about - but not for several days. Let me explain.

      It was in February 1995, the Saturday before Valentine's day - I wasn't feeling very well. Really nauseous. Vomiting occured later in the evening. In calling my OB-GYN (of course, my doctor was not on call), he told me it must have been something I ate. I agreed.

      On Sunday when I continued to vomit, the doctor prescribed Phenergan. It helped - a little. Feeling better Monday, I went back to work & my normal routine. Still not up to par, but not vomiting. But again Monday night I started vomiting. This was not your normal vomiting - it was extremely painful & lasted for 10 minutes, every half an hour or so. The doctor said it may be something to do with "reflux", so he recommened we raise the head of the bed. Still not too much help.

      Tuesday, Valentine's day, I returned to work, not feeling well. But not vomiting. I only worked half the day and left in tears. Along with the vomiting in the evening, I had an excruciating pain in my lower back on the right side. After vomiting all evening, again, we phoned the doctor. At 3:15 a.m. Wednesday, his response was "what would you like me to do?". I told my husband that I was going to the hospital with or without the doctor.

      The doctor (still not my OB-GYN) said he would meet us there. Well he never showed up. He called the hospital and told them to admit me and run some tests. At 7:00 a.m., the nurses on the ward were a little confused. My platelet count was at 75,000 and lowering. They were thinking preeclampsia, but I had no other symptoms - no swelling, no high blood pressure, no extra weight gain and no protein in my urine.

      When my doctor came in at 8:00a.m., he knew that I needed to have the baby. He scheduled a cesarean (vertical!!) for 5:00 that afternoon. He diagnosed my as having H.E.L.L.P. syndrome, a form of preeclampsia. Basically, my liver stopped functioning. My husband & I were both in shock. This was NOT how our first baby is supposed to be born.

      Throughout the day, nurses came in and ran all different types of tests. By 1:00 p.m. my platelet count dropped to 43,000. By 4:00 p.m. it was at 7,000. I then had a platelet transfusion - 2 actually before the surgery, 1 after and 1 again in the morning.

      At 5:00 p.m. they took me to the cesarean delivery room. They had informed us that they would have to place me under general anesthesia, so my husband could not be with me. With H.E.L.L.P. syndrome an epidural has a tendancy to create blood clots on the brain. At 5:16 p.m., I had a beautiful, 3lb. 2.8oz baby girl. Unfortunately, they took her immediately to the Neonatal intensive care. And I did not wake until around 9:00 p.m. that evening. I did not get to see or hold my baby until Saturday morning, just before I had to leave the hospital.

      Needless to say, the next 6 weeks, I was with my baby in the hospital more than any other place. Now my daughter is 27 months. The prettiest little girl & healthier than a horse. She is the same size as other children her age & she is developing TERRIFICALLY! She's definitely a smarty!


     Four months later, we found out we are expecting again!! WOW. I barely had my baby home & I was expecting again.

      This prenancy was definetely different. All went well. I had gotten sick (vomiting & pain) early in the pregnancy and I was scared that something was wrong. But they ruled out everything - three days later I was about back to my old self.

      At 37 weeks, I started having contractions. I had my weekly doctor appointment scheduled for Thursday - my contractions started on Monday. The nurse told my not to worry - it is probably Braxton's. Well, since I never had the pleasure of labor with my first pregnancy & I wanted to do it this time. Of course they said the odds of being able to deliver naturally after a vertical cesarean was still difficult. I was going to prove them wrong.

      By Thursday, my contractions were 30 minutes apart. I went to my regular visit and he said that I would have the baby that day. After a nice dinner with my husband, we headed for the hospital about 9:30 p.m, oh yeah, it was February 29th - LEAP YEAR!. My husband thought it would be neat to have a child on leap year. Well, when I went into labor, he changed his mind.

      Anyway, after strong contractions, a little staydol (spelling?) and midnight past, I was ready to have this baby. They called my doctor about 3:15 a.m. He said he was on his way and to break my water. As soon as that happened - my son was coming, with or without the doctor.

      Needless to say, my doctor walked in, put on a surgical hat & gloves, gave the episiotomy and said push. In two pushes, at 3:36 a.m., he was here - my 5 lb 9.8oz baby boy! My husband was THRILLED to be able to be with me in the delivery room and to see one of his children born.

I held him right away & have never let him go.

Thank you for letting my tell you about their births. It is nice to relive the experiences.