Cole's Birth Story By Stacie Gallagher Print
Birth Stories - VBAC Stories
Wednesday, 18 February 2009 10:42
My husband and I had been married a little over 2 years when we decided to start trying to have a baby. Three short months later-- we were pregnant! I couldn't believe it. I had a great pregnancy- no morning sickness, not a lot of fatigue, and I only gained 24 pounds. Everything was perfect until 24 weeks, when my OB found a cyst behind the babies right ear. No one knew what it was. We went to a specialist who gave us all the worst scenerio's, so that we would be prepared for anything. I had to have an amnio- which concluded everything looked normal, so after three months of observation, the cyst disappeared. No one was ever able to say what it was, all I know is that I feel very blessed.

I was due on June 28, 2001-- which came and went. I went for a non-stress test, which was fine, but the Dr. wanted to induce me on July 2nd. So I was prepared to have the baby on that Monday, when I went into labor on Sunday afternoon. At first I wasn't sure it I was really in labor, I just felt weird. So I went to take a shower, and about a half an hour later, I called my husband in to tell him that I thought I was in labor. He couldn't believe it either. I was laughing and calling my family telling them that it wasn't so bad....yet! Within the hour my contractions were 3- 5 minutes apart, so we decided to head for the hospital. When I got there I was only dialated to 3, but 90% effaced-- so we were sent walking for about an hour. When I got back I was at 5, and it was starting to hurt. The nurse gave me some demerol-- which made me loony--I couldn't even speak, and it didn't do a thing. I was checked again and was at 6, so Iasked for the epidural, however the anestesiologist was in surgery and was unavailable, so I had to wait. When he finally got there a half-an- our later, I was already at 8 1/2- I barely made it. Once I got the shot-- it only worked on one side, but that was ok-- one side is better than no side. My doctor came in and broke my water, and about an hour later I was ready to push. I only pushed for about 20 minutes and he had to get the vacuum extractor because the cord was wrapped around the babies neck and he wanted to get him out quick. All of a sudden I looked down and there he was coming into this world -- everything that I had been waiting for-- a miracle!

He was perfect, Cole Edward, a 9 on the apgar, 8lbs 5 oz, 22 inches long.

A total of seven hours in labor, not too bad. I really have to say the it wasn't that bad at all and I feel very lucky to have had such a positive experience. More than anything, though, I am so blessed to have such a beautiful, healthy son.