Drea Dawn's Quick Arrival!! By Candace Frank Print
Birth Stories - Siblings Present Birth Stories
Thursday, 12 February 2009 13:40
My story starts out much the same way most others do. According to the doctors and ultrasound, I was due on June 3, 2000 but from the date of my last period, I was due May 24. Well, on June 3, I just didn't feel right all day long. I was dealing with my other three children (4 1/2, 3 and 20 months), cleaning the house and just feeling down right HUGE. This was my fourth child in four years, so I was pretty sick of being pregnant.

I decided to go to bed early that night, but put everyone on-call, just in case. Good thing too, because I woke up at 4 a.m. with some pretty strong contractions that were only two minutes apart. I thought to myself "this can't be real." HAHAHAH! I woke my husband up about five minutes later and we called my mom because she had to watch the other kids. She lives about 35 minutes away, but I thought that we would have lots of time. I was actually scared that they would send me home.

I woke up my 4-year-old daughter as she had requested, since she wanted to see her sibling be born, and I packed my bag. By the time it reached 4:30 a.m. I was curled up on the couch, screaming at my husband to rub my back as hard as he could. All he could say was, "Maybe we should get you into the van." When my mom got to our house, I was on my hands and knees behind the kitchen door and all I could feel was gushing from between my legs. I was shaking frantically and screaming swear words that I didn't even know existed. My contractions were about every 30 seconds and so intense, I didn't know if I could handle it.

They got me into the van and my husband just took off. I was screaming at him to just drive, don't stop at red lights or anything, just go. When we arrived at the hospital it was about 5:08 a.m., and there was no doctor in sight, not to mention a wheelchair to get me into the hospital. I opened my door and kneeled on the pavement beside the van as my husband ran in and out of the hospital looking for some help. About two minutes later, I felt my water burst and I knew that I was in trouble. With everyone of my deliveries, the doctor had to break my water and the baby's head would come shooting out. This was no different, my water broke and out came the baby's head right into my jogging pants. I didn't know what to do because no one was with me except my 4-year-old, so I just reached down and held her head in my hands. The next thing I remember is two nurses yelling at me to lie down (on the pavement) and them pulling down my pants. Her head was already out and the only thing that was keeping her in was the cord being wrapped around her body. They untangled her and she slid right out.

She was born at 5:12 a.m., only an hour from my first contraction. After she was born, they rushed her upstairs to the incubator, and me into the emergency room. We were both fine and doing well. My 4-year-old saw the whole thing and was awesome with it, like she sees it everyday or something. We named our baby girl Drea Dawn, she weighed in at 8 pounds 5 ounces and was 21 inches long. She will be a year old in about 2 weeks. She is out last baby, but she will always have a very unique birth story to tell everyone when she gets older. What a way to come into this world. I'm just glad that she was born in June and not December!!