Mikayla's Birth Story By KATHI JO PAYNE Print
Birth Stories - Premature Birth Stories
Monday, 16 February 2009 09:49
I was about 34 weeks pregnant when I started developing high blood pressure. At 37 weeks my provider suggested I stop working. He requested I go to the hospital to have a non-stress test done that Friday morning. I arrived with my suitcase in the trunk just in case. I was hooked up to the fetal monitors and blood pressure tests were done. The nurse told me I would not be going anywhere since my blood pressure was 160 over 110. I called my husband at work and told him "this is it". I don't think he was quite prepared for all of this yet. I called my sister and she arrived around 4:30 p.m., Friday April 28, 2001. At 4:00 the provider on call came in and tried to withdraw amniotic fluid to see if the baby's lungs were developed or not. He tried twice but was unable to find any fluid. Fortunately, I did not feel a thing. He immediately stripped my membranes. I did'nt feel that either. So far so good. My husband called to say he would be stopping at home to pick up some additional things and bring my favorite pillows and tooth brush. I was really getting nervous and excited at the same time. They started the pitocin around 8:00 p.m. At 9:00 p.m. I started to feel the contractions. This is really indescribible other than they feel like severe stomach cramps. They kept coming about every 2 minutes. My husband arrived around 10:30. He does not do well in hospitals. He basically hid in the corner and tried to watch t.v. I did my best to stay calm hoping this would help him feel more at ease. So much for his help. My sister however was great. I knew she would be there for me to provide whatever support I needed. During the next shift change I had a wonderful older nurse who really taught me some really good breathing techniques. She brought in warm towels fresh out of the dryer and wrapped them around my stomach and back. Boy what a god send she was. I was able to better control the contractions with the breathing. At 12:30 a.m. I was 2 cm dialated. They decided to turn the pitocin down from level 10 to a 2. They gave me morphine and vistrail to help me sleep between contractions. I was quite out of it most of the night. By 6:00 a.m. April 29th, the nurse checked me and told me I was at 5 cm. I asked her if I could have an epidural since I figured it would be another 5 hours or more before I would reach 10 cm. She said she would check with the doctor and get back to me. Well, a half hour later (6:30 a.m.) the doctor on call came in and said "So you want an epidural?. And as I was saying "yes", he checked me and said "I don't think so since you are at 10 cm and its time to push. I just about fell out of the bed from shock. All the medications given to me 6 hours prior had worn off so I guess it was going to be a natural delivery. They had to roust my husband awake and move him out of his sleeping chair. I told my sister to get the video camera ready. I wanted as much on film as possible. The contractions started to space out to 9 minutes apart. I was glad for the break. About 7:20 a.m. I started to feel the urge to push. I had been practicing with the past contractions. At 8:15 a.m., April 29, 2001, my beautiful Mikayla was born. She was only 4 lbs and 3 oz. I was totally surprised at how small she was being that I am 6 feet tall. I was not worried about her though,I knew she would be just fine. They needed to keep her in the NICU for 5 days until she could regulate her body temperature and get her blood sugar levels up. After 3 days she was fine. Her dad and I were so thrilled to finally have her here safe and sound. She is now 15 months old weighing 25lbs and 35" tall. We are about to start trying again for our second one. I don't have much time I will be forty in about 5 days.