Brianna's Birth Story By Jenny Print
Birth Stories - Premature Birth Stories
Tuesday, 10 February 2009 10:42
I guess to begin with it is important to know that I was 17, newly married and very scared when I found out that I was pregnant with Brianna. Everything went as planned until we had 8 weeks to go. It was around 10:00pm and I experienced a gush of fluid from my vagina. I right away called the doctor. The doctor told me not to worry, that it was normal and was most likely just urine. From that time on I had a slow leak of something that I then assumed was urine leaking. A week later I sat up in bed around midnight with some pretty noticable back pain. I called the doctor and he said it really wasn't needed but, if I would feel better about it to go to the hospital. When I arrived at the hospital I received a test that confirmed my water had been leaking and I was indeed in preterm labor. I was so scared about what was happening with my baby and all I could do was lay there and pray. They placed me on bed rest in the hospital, put me on Brethine to stop the labor, and gave me steroid shots to develop the baby's premature lungs. I layed there for 10 days. By that time we had given Brianna an extra 2 and a half weeks. They decided that they could not fight off the labor any longer. I was sent home from the hospital in great pain and no information about what was happening or what was about to happen. They sent me home with a prescription called paragoric elixor (which made me very sick!!). I layed there for about 3 hours in agony before my husband finally called the doctor and told them to do something. They had me come into the office for a check-up. As soon as I arrived they took me back to a room. In the proccess of getting undressed my water completely broke. I couldn't hardly walk I was in so much pain. The obstetrician that was in the office at the time told me I was fine. He said to go home, that I would not be having this baby for another week. A very confused husband and I returned back home. By the time I returned home, we had to go right back to the hospital. I could feel so much pressure and I simply could not take it anymore. When we reached the hospital they took me to the room and checked my dialation. I was fully dialated and the baby was coming. I gave birth to a beautiful 4 pound 4 ounce baby girl that was only 17 inches long. She was perfect and healthy. I can atleast say there was a wonderful end to my horrible story. Brianna is now 4 years old and doing great. As for the doctor..... lets just say I got a very large discount in exchange for not contacting my lawyer!!