Erica Lynn's Birth Story By Elana Print
Birth Stories - Premature Birth Stories
Wednesday, 04 February 2009 11:38
My husband and I decided we wanted to start trying for a baby in July of 1997. It seemed to take forever to get pregnant. We wondered if one of us were infertile. Thanks be to God, we finally conceived our first child in January of 1998 and the baby was due September 29th. We were very excited. I initially met with a midwife in the beginning who was part of a large ob-gyn group. I went for my first ultrasound and I was told I had a low placenta and that they would keep an eye on it, but it usually migrates up the uterus and was nothing to worry about. I was told I may have to have a c-section should it not move.

I had a pretty uneventful pregnancy, no morning sickness etc. On June 17, 1998, I was at work and felt a small leak. I went to the bathroom and suddenly blood was gushing out of me. I called to one of my co-workers to call an ambulance, I was hemorrhaging. The paramedics came and hooked me up to IV's and rushed me to the hospital. I was taken straight to the labor and delivery unit. I was hooked up to a fetal monitor and was given a drip to stop the contractions. I was feeling very woozy from the loss of blood and the IV drip. I had an ultra sound immediately.

They determined I was 25 weeks along and that I could not have this baby now as the lungs would be dangerously immature. The sonographer said he could see that I had full placenta previa and that I should have been on full bed rest. I 'm thinking great, now you tell me. I was given a shot to help mature the baby's lungs quickly. I was also told that the baby was a girl. The Neonatologist came to talk to me and give me worst case scenario information. If they were to deliver the baby at 25 weeks there could be extensive problems with the baby. My heart sunk. I felt so sad for this little baby inside me. I was told if I could hold until 28 weeks the baby would have a better chance at life. The doctors managed to stabilize me and after a week in the hospital, they sent me home with my promise I would stay in bed.

Well, I went home to my own bed and I only got up to use the bathroom. On July 1st, 6:30 in the morning I woke up to go to the bathroom and I started to hemorrhage again. I called for my husband who immediately called the ambulance. I was taken to the hospital and they hooked me up on the monitors again and started the IV drip to stop contractions.

Everyone had left the room for a moment and I sneezed. All of a sudden I felt a violent gush. I called for them to come in and told them what happened. They made the decision to take this baby out. I had made it to 27 weeks and 1 day. I was rushed into the operating and Erica Lynn was born at 8:40am at 2lbs 5oz. She was put in the NICU and stayed there for two months.

She finally came home on September 6 weighing 4lbs 11oz.

I am happy to report that as of this writing she is a happy, healthy 14 month old. Erica Lynn is progressing beautifully with no signs of any problems.