Home Premature Births Peyton Jay's birth story By Jill
Peyton Jay's birth story By Jill PDF Print E-mail
Birth Stories - Premature Birth Stories
Thursday, 08 January 2009 10:03

I had a rough go of it, that last month of pregnancy. (Not that the first 4 � months of morning sickness wasn't miserable) On Feb.10th , the Dr. put me on bed rest because of elevated blood pressure and MAJOR water retention ..I was starting to resemble a hot air balloon. On Feb.22nd 9:00pm, I was awakened by a big gush of water. I wondered if I had wet the bed - but it continued to flow and I decided it was the bag of waters.

Contractions started around midnight. By 3:00am they were 3 mins apart. As we headed off to the hospital, I thought - Great! After an ugly pregnancy, I deserve an easy delivery! After we settled into our birth suite, the nurse decided to use an internal fetal monitor. The guide used to insert the monitor is approx. 1 cm in diameter. At that time, I was only dilated to 1 cm. OUCH!! The nurse didn't attach it properly, so..back out it came. My contractions went from 3 mins apart to 4, then 5, then 6...all the way to 10 mins apart. They stayed at 10 mins apart for the next couple of hours. The doctor decided to give me Pitocin to speed up labor. When I got to 3cm dilated, they did the internal fetal monitor again - what a joy that was.

We played the waiting game until around 3pm. Peyton decided that things were too dull, so he gave us a little scare. His heart stopped beating. The nurse started barking orders at me.."ROLL TO YOUR LEFT!!" ..."ROLL RIGHT!!".."GET ON YOUR HANDS AND KNEES!!". I was only 36 weeks, but I was huge. Imagine a huge pregnant woman trying to follow her orders (quickly) with IV's and everything else they attach to you - what a circus! They stopped the Pitocin. After a few seconds his heart started again, but it was really slow. Peyton was either holding onto his cord or it was getting squished between him and the uterine wall. They decided to do a uterine flush (I'm not sure of the exact terminology)..its basically - shoving a tube up through the cervix and spraying saline solution into the uterus - another joy - but, it resolved the problem! WHEW! When they started the Pitocin again...I cried.."I'm ready for DRUGS!". They gave me Stadol (whoa), then a little later - an epidural.

At 6:45pm I really felt like it was time to push. The nurse checked me and said that I was only 6 cm dilated. I waited until 7pm then told her that I was going to push whether I was dilated or not. She checked me again and said we were ready. I began to push. Peyton was facing up. He got stuck on the pubic bone and would not come out. Keep in mind that I kept a really good attitude during everything up until this point. After nearly two hours of pushing...(vomiting the entire time)..the doctor says to me."PUSH HARDER, PUSH HARDER!!". I looked at him and yelled.."I CAN'T PUSH ANY FUCKING HARDER!!". With that comment, he decided to get out the vacuum extractor. He gave me an episiotomy, placed the vacuum extractor on Peyton's head, then told me to push. Four pushes later...he was born! Two guys from the infant intensive care unit whisked him away. I only saw him for a second, but he looked dead. It took them about 5 mins of intensive rubbing etc. before he started to cry. At birth he weighed 6 lbs 4 oz and was 19 �" long.

Peyton was born 4 weeks early..but you'd never know it. He is three months old now. He is approx. 13lbs, 24" and very healthy. What a joy...I would go through it all over again for him.