Caitlyn's Birth Story By Heather Print
Birth Stories - Premature Birth Stories
Tuesday, 02 December 2008 09:04
This was my second and last baby and I was determined to have my way in the delivery room! I had a nightmare of an experience with my first born son, Jacob.

I had an uneventful pregnancy. My doctor was determined to go by my LMP for my due date even though I knew it was too early since I have long cycles. At what the doctor thought was my 38 week apointment he checked me and found no signs of labor. He told me I would go at LEAST to my due date of August 28th (even though my son was born a week early) and went out of town for a week. That was Tuesday.

That night my husband twisted his ankle and was home from work the next day. I got up and made a big breakfast since he was home. I got in the shower at noon and when I got out I noticed I was bleeding. I called the doctors office and was told to go to the hospital even though I was not haveing contractions.

We got Jacob ready and took him to my sister-in-laws. By the time I got to the hospital at 1PM, my contractions were 4 min. apart and 60 seconds! I was 2cm dialated but only slightly efaced. After 1 hour of monitoring however, my contractions began to slow down. They sent me to walk but it did not help. Since the hospital was full, they sent me home.

We left the hospital at 3:30. We went grocery shopping and picked up our son. since I was not feeling up to cooking we got fried chicken for dinner... On the way home I noticed a periodic gushing feeling but did not think it was my water since my water had broke early with my son. I did not think it was posible to have happened twice to one person!

My contractions continued on at 4 min. apart and 60 seconds long. After dinner, I went to the bathroom. As I was sitting down I felt a pop and a gush of clear fluid! At the same instant I had my first painful contraction. I called the hospital and told them I was on my way back in. It was 8 PM at this time.

We dropped our son off and timed the contractions on the way to the hospital. They were 1 1/2 to 2 min apart and about 60 seconds long. At the hospital they tested the fluid and told me it was amniotic fluid. Like it could be anything else! It was running down my legs and had made a puddle on the floor! I was admitted at 3cm and 50% effaced. I was starting to feel really uncomfortable by this time.

I labored with only periodic monitoring for 4 hours. I walked, sat in the wirlpool tub. By midnight, the labor was getting really painful and I was considering giving in to the pain meds. I was really scared I would not progress past 3cm as my labor had stalled at that point with my son. The nurse checked me and I was 100% efaced and 4cm. I asked for an enema at this time and my labor started to pick up.

I could not stand to lay in the bed so they brought in the birthing ball. It turned out to be a life saver and helped me to deal with the unbearable pressure I was feeling. I could not get in the tub because I had to stay on the fetal monitor because the babys heartrate was over 200!

At 2 AM, I asked to be checked because I was feeling a lot of pressure. I was 6cm and paper thin. By 3 AM, I was 8cm and REALLY hurting! At 3:30 I asked to be checked again and I was STILL 8cm! With the next contraction the nurse tried to push my cervix over the babys head but it was TOO painfull and would not stretch.

The next contraction started out with just the intense pressure of the previous ones but half way through, I felt my body start to push and I suddenly had the urge to turn on my side and hike my leg! The baby's head crowned and stayed halfway out after the contraction ended!

The nurse was in shock and called the doctor on call at home and told him to run. Then she called the resident sleeping down the hall and told him to run too! The short period before the next contraction was excrutiating because I had not had an episiotmy and my entire genital area felt like it was on fire from the baby's head sticking out!

With my next cotraction two things happened, my daughter's head popped the rest of the way out and the resident got there struggling into his scrubs as he came through the door.

With my next contraction my daughter was born at 3:39 AM August 20th, 1998. She was 7lbs 1oz, 21 1/2 inches long. I had done it! No pain meds or episiotomy and no tearing either! I was up and walking an hour after her birth!

The labor was tramatic for my little Caitlyn though. As it turned out, she was not due until September 5th or 6th after all and was born 16 or 17 days early! She had not had enough time in the birth canal and was VERY full of mucous. She was so swollen and bruised in the face that we could not even tell who she looked like for days after! She could not open her eyes due to the swelling and broken blood vessels inside. She could not regulate her temperature and her glucose dropped dangerously low so she ended up in NICU for a few days.

The on call doctor got there 10 min after she was born! And my regular OB called me a week later baffled by the early delivery! He was so sure I had WEEKS to go! :-)