Home Premature Births Joshua and Nicholas's Birth Story By Kristi
Joshua and Nicholas's Birth Story By Kristi PDF Print E-mail
Birth Stories - Premature Birth Stories
Monday, 01 December 2008 08:38
It all pretty much started May 8th of 97 and I was 29 almost 30 weeks. I had been put on bedrest due to pre-term contractions and dialating at 24 weeks. At this point I was doing really good, no contractions thanks to my meds and lots of water! I had an ultrasound and I believe this day was a Friday.

I was at my appt and the ultrasonographer freaked out because I was 1-2 cm dialated, no news to me since I had been my last 5 ultrasounds and weekly dr appts! They wanted me to see the on call OB/GYN but I said no and left. I was on bedrest and had been driven 30 mins to wait for a Dr who I didn't know who was going to tell me something I already knew and blah blah blah! I went home and my Dr called and said that I should go to the hospital because baby A didn't seem to have enough fluid pockets. No one had notified me of this at my appt!! I went and layed there hooked up to monitors with my mom, dad and sister there for 3 1/2 hours and not one contraction, no Dr had seen me or anything, just nurses bringing me juice. New Dr came on shift, a Dr from my office I had only seen through the hallways.

She came in to check my charts and monitors and stuff and had seen nothing, a lady in the next room had started screaming and she had to leave and boom... I hear a baby cry... not mine luckily. Well she comes back in to do an exam to see how dialated I was. She gives me the most PAINFUL and harsh exam I had and have ever had. My whole belly moved up with her fingers! I cried... My mom was pretty upset at the way she was being and the Thursday, July 30, 1998 Dr left telling me I was 2 cm dialated. Wowee right?

Well about 30 seconds later I had a pain in my back and saw my contraction on the monitor. I had never had a contraction like this. I had them consistantly for the next 6 hrs in which I was dialating about 1/2 cm an hour. They decided to send me to a hospital with a level 3 NICU that was 2 hours away. They started me on Mag Sulfate (to stop contractions) and that didn't work on them until over 24 hrs later and a total of 4 1/2 cm later. By the way, my sonogram showed baby A and B had plenty of fluid! I was hospitalized for 2 weeks where I was told for the first week I would have them any day now. They would be between 1 and 3 pounds. Well, 2 weeks to the day later I was released from the hospital and sent home for strict bedrest for 2 weeks until I was 34 weeks and okay to deliver at the local hospital.

Well 34 weeks came and I was sick of laying down 23 hours a day and only allowed to get up to pee and shower for 5 mins. Well I decided to go shopping on a Friday and was gone for 3 hrs!! OOPS! That night my belly ached pretty bad and I figured it was because I walked so much at the mall.

Well, that night I went to bed early as well the next night. I woke up on Sunday June 8th at 1 am and started having mild contractions. I figured I was fine. Still nothing like the ones I had in the hospital. So I was fine right?

Well, about 20 mins later my water broke for the first time. I was in denial and had convinced myself I had wet my pants! LOL I woke my mom who I was staying with at the time and we talked a bit. My water broke again and I finally told her I had peed my pants. She just kinda laughed and told me to get my shoes on and grab my robe. So I did, when we get in the car everything changed. I had extreme pressure and this was only and hour after I woke up! These contractions were real and every min to 30 secs! I was in pain! My body started taking over and pushing for me and I couldn't control this. I thought I was going to have two babies in the car on the freeway!

We finally arrived in about 35 mins. (regularly a 45-50 min. drive) and I went to OB/GYN. and my Dr came to say hi and the nurse asked me to pee in a cup and put on my gown. I went to go pee and boom, I could feel the baby's head!!! I started yelling for the only nurse in the room to help me!! I was in my t-shirt and slip on shoes yelling and waddling! I hopped on the bed and the nurse dropped the bottom of the bed and the Dr came in half dressed in her scrubs!

This was MY Dr who I saw regularly, it was only by chance she was there... next shift was the dredded Dr from hell. She said she could see Baby A's head. I knew they were both boys and this was to be Joshua. Next contraction I pushed this baby out. At 2:38 am Joshua Ryan was born weighing 4 lbs 15 oz and 17 inches long. My Dr broke the other water sac and next contraction at 2:48 am Nicholas Trevor was born weighing 6 lbs 1 oz and 19 inches long.

He had breathing problems and was rushed to the NICU after I got to hold him for a few seconds. They both stayed in the hospital. for 1 week and were released with no problems.

See Our Pictures At
Josh and Nick's Homepage