Andrew's Birth Story By Ami Print
Birth Stories - Premature Birth Stories
Monday, 17 November 2008 11:33
This past year saw the birth of our first son. Following is his birth sory. I had complications with Toxemia / Pre-Eclampsia / PIH, HELLP Syndrome and Oligohydramnios. Andrew came at 31 weeks. He had IUGR at 28 weeks and after he was born he had the run of preemie problems. My due date was May 13, 1997 Andrew was born at 31 weeks on March 13, 1997.

On Monday my husband took me to the Dr.s for my 30 week appointment. We had plans to go shopping and to dinner afterwards. I had felt fine since the last appointment, no spots before my eyes, no headaches that didn't go away shortly after they came anything alarming. I went in to the exam room and the nurse took my blood pressure (BP), she sounded alarmed as she told me to lie down while she got another nurse to check it again. It was 200/115. Even after 20 minutes on my left side it only went to 190/100. So it was off to the hospital emergency room I went.

At the hospital they re-checked my BP, it was still high. They also let me know that I was dialated to 3 and I had lost my mucus plug (an interesting side note, I had kept a journal of my pregnancy and in the journal about a week before I had wrote that I had felt a little crampy, this ended up being a sign of pre-term labor). They did an ultrasound (US) and thats were they found out that Andrew had quit growing at approx. 28 weeks. They let me know that due to my urine having +4 protein, the high BP & suspected IUGR with the baby it was off to another hospital that had a NICU (Neonatal Intesive Unit). It was here that I received the first four steriod shots (betamethasone) to mature the babies lungs.

Upon arriving at the new hospital I was placed on a 24 hour urine analysis. It came back still +4. That was Tuesday. Wednesday another US was done. The IUGR was confirmed and also that I had very little fluid around the baby. My BP was still very high. They placed me on Magnesium to prevent seizures, an internal monitor on the baby, antibiotics, IV of *fluids* and oxygen to help the baby. This was the start of the Andrew's birth began. The Pitocin only got me to dialate to 6. They started the drip at 3:30pm on Wednesday and by 4:00am. They did 3 scalpal PH's to check to acidity of his blood (Andrew has 6 scars on his face on only one on his *head* the side of his face was there not his head). On Thursday the babies heartrate fell and an Emergency C-Section was announced.

Andrew was born at 4:47am. He was quickly taken away. After the birth I spent several days in Maternal Special Care (ICU). My BP didn't want to go down and I had developed HELLP (Hemolysis, Elevated Liver, Low Platlet) my liver was very irriatated and my platlet level dropped low. Eventually things cleared up and I am hoping that come my next pregnancy things will go a little easier.

Andrew's Apgars were 4 and 8. He weighed 2lbs 8oz and was 15inches long. He needed to be recuscitated and was quickly placed on a ventilator at 100% Oxygen.

He was only on the vent for a day. He went on to an Oxygen Hood then to CPAP (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure) and then to a Nasal Cannula. Some of Andrew's problems were RDS (Respitory Distress Syndrome), BPD (Bronchial Pulmonary Displyasia), Hyperbilirubinanemia, Anemia, Apnea, Bradycardia, NEC(Necrotizing enterocolitis), and he had a Meconium Ileus. He spent 47 days in the hospital NICU/PCN.
*The definitions to these you can find on our homepage*

Andrew came home on O2, monitor and no drugs except Epogen injections which I gave him and vitamins. He weighed 4 pounds 6 ounces when he came home. After a month he came off of the Oxygen & the next month he came off of the monitor.

Andrew passed his ROP(Retinopathy of prematurity) and Hearing Assement Tests. He also had a negative on my cheek swab for Cystic Fibrosis. His lungs and heart sounds good and as of this week he is 5months old and weighs 11 pounds and is 24 inches long. He has a developemental assesment in October but I think he is doing pretty good.