Home Natural Births Kaylee's Entrance into the World By Brooke Dawn Sullivan
Kaylee's Entrance into the World By Brooke Dawn Sullivan PDF Print E-mail
Birth Stories - Natural Birth Stories
Wednesday, 11 February 2009 10:43
I found out I was pregnant on April 29th, 2000. I had been having severe stomach pain, so I went to the ER and they did a routine pregnancy test. It was at the same time a shock and a confirmation when it came back positive. For the past three days I had suspected I might have been PG, but I thought it was all in my head. However, the test showed that I was just over a week pregnant! This was my first pregnancy and I enjoyed it very much except for the 7 months of morning sickness, horrible pain in my hips, and 55lb weight gain. I first felt my baby kick at 4 months along. Her fluttering and jabbing my internal organs was what I enjoyed most about being pregnant. I also enjoyed not having to share her with anyone else and the freedom to eat like a pig. I woke up at 5am on December 23, 2000 with minor contractions(exactly 2 weeks before my due date of January 6th). I couldn't sleep through them and I was excited so I got up. I timed the contractions for an hour and they stayed 7 minutes apart. I began to get nauseous, so I didn't eat breakfast. I decided to call in to work to let them know I wouldn't be in today because I was having a baby! I was hoping for a short labor because I had been at 3 1/2 centimeters for a week. I then woke up my mom and her boyfriend(I had moved back in with my mother for the joyous event)and they called in to work also. I went about my day normally: shopping, cleaning, baking, reading and napping until about 5pm. Then the contractions started getting more intense. I took a hot bath, which sort of helped, but by this time the contractions were 5 minutes apart and there was no helping the pain. I just did my breathing and concentrated. At about 7 pm, contractions were 2-3 minutes apart and really hurting, so we decided it was time to go. We grabbed my bags and the video camera and headed to the hospital(3 min. drive). When we got there, they strapped a monitor on me and made me lay down, which made the pain worse. Five minutes later, my water broke with a "pop" during the middle of a contraction. After that, it ws a whole new realm of pain. The nurse then checked me and I was at a 7 and -1 station. We moved into a birthing suite and I was again monitored and had to lay down. But I didn't mind because I was in too much pain to care. At that point I broke down and asked for drugs. I told them anything would help! So the nurse checked me again and I was at a 9. Too late, she told me. All of a sudden, I had to push. I told the nurse this and she said not to because the doctor wasn't here and couldn't get here for 10 more minutes becuase of the snow storm. Well, I didn't push but my body did. And by the time the doctor got there, my daughter had started to come out. With 2 pushes, her head was out, and the rest of her body slipped out on it's own. Kaylee Elizabeth was placed on my chest and I cut the cord. Three minutes later, I delivered the placenta and my 2nd degree tear was stitched up. I finally had my precious daughter. She weighed 6 pounds, and was 19 inches long. Her APGARS were 9 and 9 and she had a full head of black hair. She is now 2 1/2 months and weighs 12 lbs! She is a healthy, happy baby and the light of my life.