Home Natural Births Bryce's Birth Story By Michelle Nutter
Bryce's Birth Story By Michelle Nutter PDF Print E-mail
Birth Stories - Natural Birth Stories
Wednesday, 11 February 2009 08:56
It was on June 26th 1998 that I found out I was pregnant. I hadn't really been trying with my ex-husband of eight years before. But we weren't using birth control. So I thought that maybe I couldn't get pregnant. I even bought two tests to make sure that I actually was pregnant. Sure enough, I was, with my new boyfriend.

I did start to bleed a little in July and was so scared I was losing my baby. I called the doctor. They told me, that all I could do was lay down and I would be checked on the next day. At nine weeks, I went into check to make sure that I was not miscarrying and that the baby was okay. Sure enough, there was the fastest little heartbeat I ever heard. After that, my pregnancy went very well. I only got sick once after watching my boyfriend play pool in a sports bar and smelling the awful cigarette smoke.

My due date was February 27th. I had so many girls tell me not to be surprised if you go over your due date. I was working full time and planned to until little Bryce came.

My Dad and one of my brothers came to stay with us the weekend before my due date. Friday was pretty uneventful. Saturday night we went to see a movie.....Pretty much still felt normal. No contractions or leaking or anything. That night after I went to bed, I started getting up to go to the bathroom almost every hour starting around 1am. I thought the baby was just pushing down and did not think much of it.

My Dad and brother left late that morning. We (my boyfriend and I) went to have breakfast with them before they left. I did start to feel contractions, but they certainly weren't regular. I thought I was having those lovely braxton hicks contractions. We went home after my Dad and brother left. I sat down on the couch pretty much that whole afternoon. Contractions were coming stronger, but not more frequent. Finally at 4:30pm on that Sunday I called the doctor. By then I started bleeding a little. The nurse asked how often my contractions were. At the time they still weren't regular at all. The nurse said just take it easy and don't come in yet. Wait till your contractions are 5 minutes apart. By around 7:30pm, I was in tremendous pain, and I started bleeding more heavily. I told my boyfriend to call the doctor and tell them we were on our way. The nurse asked my boyfriend some questions. Based on me being a first time Mom, and me bleeding, the nurse said I was going to have to go in an ambulance.

The ambulance and "everyone else" showed up very shortly. They put me in the ambulance after asking questions and timing my contractions. They never were real regular contractions, but they were lasting by that time one to two minutes.

The emt was trying to put an IV in my arm, but at the time, I had a very strong and painful contraction that he wasn't able to get it in. I was rushed to the 2nd floor in the observation floor around 8:30pm. I was hooked up to the monitor. Within 5-10 minutes my water broke. The nurse checked me and I was at 7 cm. She told me and my boyfriend that she would be in later to check me. She had just left the room and not 5 minutes later, I felt a tremendous urge to push. I told my boyfriend to get the doctor and tell them that I needed to push NOW!! The nurse and doctor came in and checked me. I was at 10cm. They rushed me into the labor and delivery at 9:00pm. Bryce was coming so fast. I didn't ask for any type of pain medicine. I just pushed when was told. At 9:51pm, Bryce was born. He came out just fine with no complications whatsoever. He was just a gorgeous little baby with tons of hair. He weighed 6lbs 7ozs and was 19 3/4 inches long. Born on Feb 21, 1999. He is the light of our lives and enjoy every minute of it. I did go back to work 10 weeks later, but wanted to breast feed him till he was 6 months. Fortunately for me, I was able to pump on my breaks at work and did nurse Bryce until he was six months.

I do consider myself very lucky and blessed that my pregnancy and birth went so well.