Home Natural Births August born in July By Michelle Reid
August born in July By Michelle Reid PDF Print E-mail
Birth Stories - Natural Birth Stories
Tuesday, 10 February 2009 10:48
My husband and I started trying to have a baby in 1997. I finally became pregnant in October of 1999. We have been married for 5 years and thought it was time to start a family.

I had a very easy pregnancy. I did not get sick, did not crave anything and only gained 24 pounds. On the fifth month we found out that we were going to have a boy. We were both very excited. My husband has four nieces and I have a nephew and a niece. So, it's nice to finally have another boy in the family.

My seven month check up my doctor told me that I was measuring big. She wanted to make sure that I did not have fluid build up. So, I went for another ultrasound. The doctor told me that my cervix was thin. I asked her what that meant and she told me that I needed to see my doctor right away to make sure everything was okay. She said I might need to be put on bed rest. My doctor told me everything was okay.

Well, on Thursday June 29, 2000, I went for my weekly check up. I was 36 1/2 weeks pregnant (due date July 22, 2000). She told me that my cervix was fully effaced and that I was 3cm dilated. Wow!!! I could not believe it. She told me that I could go any day and when I did go into labor that it would be fast.

On Tuesday, July 4, 2000, my husband and I went to bed around 10:00pm. I woke up at 12:20am to use the restroom. I went back to bed and got back up 10 minutes later to use the restroom again. This time there was blood. I called to my husband, who was awake, and he told me to call the doctor. As I am trying to get dressed and on the phone with the nurse, my husband is timing my contractions. They were 5, 2 and 3 minutes apart. We live 45 minutes from the hospital. At 1:45am we leave to go to the hospital.

We arrive at 2:30am. The nurse wheels me into the room and my contractions have been 3 minutes apart since we left home. I put my gown on and get into bed. She checks me and I am at 8cm. I ask for an epidural. I tell them that I have to throw up and I did in a bed pan. 5 minutes later I tell her that I have to push. She checks me and I am at 10cm. No epidural for me she said. They barely had time to put my IV in. I also tested positive for Strep B. So, they had to put antibiotics in with the IV so that my baby would not get it when the water broke.

She asks me if I wanted a mirror and I said Yes. We had to start pushing because he was not going to wait. The doctor got there just in time. I was pushing and the nurse asked me how many children I have. I told her this was our first one. The doctor gave my an episiotomy (2 degree) and a shot of pain medicine down there. But I felt everything. It didn't hurt as bad as I thought it would. I didn't have time to get the mirror.

I was in labor for 2 1/2 hours. August Lonnie Reid was born at 3:03am on July 5, 2000. He weighed 7 pounds 5 ounces. He was 20 3/4 inches long. He had a full head of dark hair. No wonder I had very bad heartburn while I was pregnant.

He is now 2 months old and weighs 12 pounds 5 ounces and is 24 inches long. He just had his 2 month check up and four shots. I cried along with him.

I loved this pregnancy, labor and delivery so much that I cannot wait to do it again. My doctor told me that the next time I go into labor, I better get to the hospital as soon as possible.