TAYLOR'S LIGHT By Christine G. Law Print
Birth Stories - Multiple Births Stories
Monday, 01 December 2008 10:01
I was 21 when I first heard the word Infertility. I had just been rushed to the emergency room in severe abdominal pain after being told (2 days prior) that I had had a miscarriage. I was diagnosed with an ectopic pregnancy which would require emergency surgery. There was no time to call in any of my family. I was alone and scared. My husband was left behind as the hospital staff carted me off past the steel double doors. Thus, began a ten year struggle to have a child of our own.

During this time, I was further diagnosed with Severe Pelvic Adhesive Disease, Endometriosis, and hormonal imbalances. These infertility problems resulted in a total of 7 pregnancies, 5 of which required surgery and eventually resulted in my fallopian tubes being clipped. I remember feeling as though my whole world had just stopped when I realized that I would never carry a child of my own. My hope was gone, but my doctor did not give up.

Two years ago, I was told that there was a possibility that I may be going through early menopause (at age 29) and thus began our In-Vitro experience. After three rounds of extensive fertility treatments, triple the normal dosage of Pergonal, and lots of prayer, we were finally pregnant. With TWINS!

During our wait to conceive, our adopted son would pray nightly for Jesus to send him a baby boy and a baby girl. The first time I saw TWO babies on the ultrasound screen, I knew that he prayers were answered and that God surely hears the voices of the children FIRST.

At 15 weeks, I was rushed (by ambulance) to the hospital with severe hemorrhage. I was sure that I was miscarrying. The worst part of it all was that my 3 yr old saw it all! When I arrived in the emergency room, I felt a gush of fluid and began to cry as the doctor informed me that he thought a water bag had just broke. So many different emotions moved through me in those moments. I was angry and then scared. Giving up in one moment and hoping with all my might in the next. I lay there with my husband squeezing my left hand and my doctor my right, and all three of us were crying! I was immediately sent upstairs to Paleontology for a sonogram and told that they would try their best to save the other baby! I kept waiting to feel the first baby slide out of me as they wheeled me through the halls of the hospital.

What I didn't know was that I had been put on a prayer line as soon as the ambulance picked me up. We had people everywhere praying for me and the babies. When I got to the ultrasound room, the nurse took one look at the amount of blood I was losing and started to cry and pray with me. I was hysterical!

I closed my eyes against the sight of a dead baby as they put the probe over my tummy. Suddenly the room grew very still and very quiet. Then I heard, actually heard my husband smile. I opened one eye and peeked at the screen and there were my TWO babies both kicking and doing fine!!!! Everyone was crying at the same time--even the doctor doing the ultrasound! Even more astonishing was the hazy glow of white light surrounding the first baby (which we had all thought lost). I knew that his baby was a boy from previous exams and couldn't help but to think that he was giving his mommy a thumbs up.

I was told that I had a fibroid and that the excess embryos from the implant had formed a sac of tissue which was attached onto the uterine wall behind one of the placentas. As the placenta moved up, the sac of tissues was knocked off and that was the water bag which broke! Apparently, this sometimes happens with an in-vitro procedure where multiple embryos are implanted back into the uterus.

I was placed in bed rest for the rest of my pregnancy and returned to the hospital twice more after that. I ended up in hospital for 6 weeks before birth. I remember thinking that the babies would never be born. I also thought that the nurses on 2 South were angels to put up with this grouchy fat woman who just wanted to go home! The twins were born by Cesarean Section at 30 weeks, when my baby boy began to loose his umbilical fluids and go into distress. It became imperative that the babies come out as soon as possible. However, both babies were born breathing on their on! No respirators! They did have to be put in incubators and stayed under the biliruben lights for some time. We visited them everyday in the NICU Unit and each night as we left the parking lot, we would look back at the florescent blue light shining from the third story nursery window. It was like our little boy was telling us goodnight. After a month of leaving our babies behind, they both came home at just over 4lbs.

However, on Christmas Eve, both were back in hospital with the RSV virus. Taylor ended up being rushed to another hospital on a ventilator and underwent a blood transfusion. There were times when I thought I would surely lose him, but his light was always there with me. For again, as we left this new hospital, there was a light shining from the PICU window just where our Taylor's crib would be!

Today, our twins are 7 months old and very healthy. Taylor has even surpassed his sister's weight by 4 lbs. She is the beat of my heart and he is the light of my life!

Read a more in depth version of the twins' battle with the RSV virus