Merci Rene's birth story By Amy Print
Birth Stories - Hospital Birth Stories
Wednesday, 18 February 2009 11:16
I went to the hospital on Wednesday (March 7, 2001) to be induced. They started the Cytotek at about 12:00 p.m. I had to spend two hours on the monitor and then I could walk for two hours and then I would get another dose. They continued the Cytotec every 4 hours. It was really funny to be at the hospital that long and not be in labor! I would see babies come into the nursery and then go and see the next new babies come in and go. My mother and father had been there with me as well as my husband the entire time. It was like one big party around there. I wasn't having any contractions - so we were just hanging out and cracking jokes. The only bad thing was that I couldn't eat anything. I was starving!!

Then, at about 8:00 Thursday night my doctor came in to check me and I had only dilated to 1 1/2 and my cervix was still very thick. She said that she would go ahead and do one more dose and see what happened, but they would probably be sending me home around midnight. I asked for food since I hadn't eaten since Tuesday night and she agreed, since nothing was happening. They brought my food in and I went to the bathroom before I started to eat. When I sat back down on the bed, my water broke!!! Immediately contractions started at 3 minutes apart and I started ruling out this "going natural" thing!!! I was still upset because I hadn't gotten to eat!!! I felt very sick to my stomach so I asked for some nausea also helped me to sleep/rest between contractions.

My husband was a great coach!!! He really kept me focused on my breathing. I hated lying down during contractions and I hated standing. All I wanted to do was sit straight up in the bed and breath through them. The medicine had made me so drowsy that I couldn't hold myself up so he got into bed with me and sat behind me to support me and help me sit up. My mother would wipe my face with cold rages to help with the nausea. I felt like we were all a great team!! I held out trying to live without the epidural - but the contractions had started moving to my back and boy were they killing me! My doctor came in again around 10:45 and I was 2 1/2 cm. When she offered the epidural I accepted!! She told the nurse to go ahead and call the anesthesiologist and that by the time he got there I would be 3 cm and she felt it was okay to go ahead with the epidural. I was so frightened of it hurting - but he waited until I had a contraction and then I didn't hardly feel the epidural at all - just some pressure. After the epidural I was able to really enjoy things and be alert and know what was going on. The nurse checked me at 1:30 and I was still only 2 1/2 cm and she felt like it would be about another 6 -8 hours. I decided to take a nap.

I woke up feeling like the epidural had wore off because I was feeling some pain/pressure....This was at about 3:00. I asked if they could up the medicine a little more. The nurse decided to check me and found out that I was complete!!! A lot quicker than they expected!!! I panicked because my husband had left the room to go and get coffee. My mom and dad ran out to find him. When mother and my husband got back in the room it was time to begin pushing! The nurse started with me and baby began to move pretty quickly. The nurse decided she better wait for the doctor! When Dr. Maria got there I began to push again. I made sure they got the mirror...I didn't want to miss anything. The first time I tried to look - my mother and my husband were trying to see the baby's head and were totally in the way! Everyone was so excited!

After only 45 minutes of pushing, Merci Rene' entered the world with the most beautiful cry I had ever heard. She was born on March 9th at 4:02 a.m. She weighed 7 lbs. 1 oz. and was 19 1/2 inches long. I was ecstatic!!!! She was crying in the baby warmer until her Daddy came over and started talking to her. She stopped crying and just started looking around. My mother still thinks it was the most wonderful thing she has ever seen. And I think Merci is the most beautiful baby I have seen!