Home Hospital Births Holly's Birth Story By Jennifer Regnier
Holly's Birth Story By Jennifer Regnier PDF Print E-mail
Birth Stories - Hospital Birth Stories
Wednesday, 18 February 2009 10:53
I had suspected I was pregnant and I was so scared. Why would I be scared ? You see 10 months prior I had what they call a partial molar pregnancy. I had been advised by the doctors to wait at least 1 year before getting pregnant again. After having a molar pregnancy you have to have blood test done every week until your HCG levels fall below 5 , then you only need them on a monthly basis for a year. It was around the 10th month that my HCG levels begin to rise and guess what I was pregnant !!!!!!!

Right from the beginning of my pregnancy I was very closely observed by the doctor's. I had my first ultrasound at about 4 or 5 weeks gestation to make sure there really was a baby this time and not a molar pregnancy. We were overjoyed with the news that all was ok : ) .

The pregnancy itself was perfect not a problem to report, until that magic due date arrives and nothing happens. Doctor agrees to induce me at 41 weeks. June 9th Dr. uses cervidal to induce labour, we wait and wait and wait, nothings happening. Dr. says lets try again in the morning. June 10th we try again using the pitocin drip. Oh boy did that ever work and very fast I might say. My labour from start of petocin to birth of baby 5 hrs. I did have a shot of demorol for the pain, however 5 minutes after the shot I started pushing. The nurse said if I had known you were going to dilate that fast I would not have given you the shot. I went from 5cm to 10cm in 10 minutes. After pushing for maybe 5 minutes,Holly made her grand entrance into this world. When she came out I remember asking Is it a boy or a girl. The strange thing was the Dr. could not tell me because, Holly was so wound up in the umbilical cord that it was in between her legs , around her body, under the armpits, everywhere. The doctor had to untangle the cord so he could see the sex. Holly weighed 6 lbs 7 oz and was 18 inches long. ( what a difference in weight from my first baby, he weighed 8 lbs 14 oz )

About 20 minutes after the delivery the doctor's began to become concerned because, I still had not delivered the placenta. I was also bleeding quite a lot. at this time the nurses put Holly on my breast to nurse in hopes that it would help with the uterine contractions, no such luck. The doctors decided that I need an emergency D & C. I had lost a lot of blood and the doctor's are very concerned. I spent 4 or 5 days in the hospital under very close observation.

Finally the day arrives that Holly and I can go home. This did not last very long. : (

I had been home a total of 2 days and I started to see a changed in the amount of blood I was passing. It reminded me of a dripping tap. I was filling a sanitary napkin in 30 minutes. I took myself to emergency. I am sent for a ultrasound and the doctor's discover that I have a main artery in my uterus that is bleeding. I am rushed down to surgery for another D & C.

At this point I am real danger. I have lost so much blood that I have been told that if they can not control the bleeding I will need a hysterectomy. I spent 2 days in the ICU. I had a hemoglobin count of 65. ( normal is about 125 )After many days of deliberation the doctor's thought it would be best if I had a blood transfusion. One day later the transfusion I was beginning to feel much better. After 5 days in the hospital I was allowed to go home and be with my family. I did however need to do a week of IV antibiotics on a out patient basis.

It has been almost 2 years since my daughter was born and my Dr. has advised me that it would be in my best interest NOT to have anymore children. My husband and I have taken that advice and my hubby got fixed. We have been blessed with our son and blessed once again with our daughter.