Home Home Births Brandon Michael's Birth Story By Lauri
Brandon Michael's Birth Story By Lauri PDF Print E-mail
Birth Stories - Homebirth Birth Stories
Monday, 15 December 2008 08:53
Brandon Michael made his appearance at 6:59pm Thursday, October 1st. He was born via VBAC at home after 48 hours of labor including 5 hours of pushing. It was a lot of HARD work, but I did it! His head was acynclitic, he was 10 lb 2 oz and 23-1/2 inches long and had a 15-inch chest, but HE CAME OUT! It was sooooo amazing watching his head crown and then come out. I got to hold him immediately, Daddy got to cut the cord, we got to see the placenta (we planted it with a tree), I got to be the first to dress him. I got to do all the things I missed with my first son's birth, a cesarean.

I started having contractions on September 29th, the day after my due date, but I really didn't realize that's what it was. It felt totally different from my posterior labor. They progressed during the night and we called the midwife at 4am when contractions were 2-3 minutes apart and lasting 90 seconds. When she got there, I was 3cm and 90% effaced. She went home.

Labor slowed considerably during the day on the 30th, but picked up again that night. We called the midwife again and at 5am, I was 6-7 cm dilated and 95% effaced. Labor slowed again during the day, but still progressed. At 10am, I was at 8-9 cm and the bag of water was bulging, so the midwife and I decided she should break it. At 1:30pm, I was at 10cm but had an anterior lip. (Boo!) I was ready to die at this point and tried to talk the midwife and doula and dh into going to the hospital. Thank goodness, they didn't let me! The midwife had me get in the tub at 2pm and she held the lip back while I pushed, even though I didn't have an urge. Soon after, I got the urge and was ready to get to work.

We tried many different positions, including squatting but he just wasn't getting past that lip. I again tried to talk them into going to the hospital. The midwife wanted me to try the McRobert's position (supine with legs WAY up to chest) for 20 minutes (at 4pm) and if nothing worked, then we would decide. Well, it worked. He started coming down a lot faster and easier. I got my confidence back and worked really hard.

They kept showing me the mirror so I could see progress. I recommend this to ANYONE. The more I could see, the harder I pushed!! His head was born at 6:57pm but was slow to come out. Then his anterior shoulder was VERY difficult to get out and the midwife had to assist in the delivery. Those last couple minutes happened so fast! But, at 6:59pm, he was out and on my chest! I did have a 2nd degree tear that needed repair. His apgars were 8 and 9. No problem delivering the placenta, which was ENORMOUS!

My doula was WONDERFUL! I'm so glad that I had her there and encourage ANYONE to use a doula. She really kept my head on straight and didn't let me give up. I owe a great deal of thanks to all of the people on the ICAN Mailing List for their encouragement and knowledge that helped me to have the birth I wanted.