Home First Baby Jacob's Birth Story By Carrie Benson
Jacob's Birth Story By Carrie Benson PDF Print E-mail
Birth Stories - First Baby Birth Stories
Wednesday, 18 February 2009 10:56
My husband and I had been trying to conceive for about 6 months. We had been married a little over four years and felt that there was something missing in our life. We were having a little trouble conceiving because my menstrual cycles were all messed up. After the fifth month of trying, we decided to stop trying and just enjoy our time together. I had missed my period, but this was nothing knew to me so I didn't think much of it. Then, I started to feel a little nauseous when my stomach was empty and I was having these incredible sharp pain when I would stand suddenly so I decided to go to the doctor. Before I made the appointment I decided to take a pregnancy test because even though I was sure that I wasn't pregnant, I knew that the doctors would ask. I took the test on the Sunday that my husband and I were doing our spring cleaning. I went to the bathroom without telling him what I was up to. I didn't feel the need to tell him since I knew that I wasn't pregnant. Then sure enough two pink lines. I was PREGNANT!!! I was so excited I ran and told my husband who was rug doctoring our carpet. We hugged for a while then reality set in and we became both excited and nervous.

My pregnancy was fairly uneventful. The typical morning sickness which lasted about four or five months. At my thirty-six week visit to the doctor, he told me that I had started to dilate and efface. I was excited. I knew that Jacob was going to come early. Sure enough on October 24, 2001 I started to have some contractions while I was at work. Nothing big, I wasn't even sure they were contractions because they didn't hurt, but they were timable. I went home for my lunch and my husband was home (he had the day off). I told him that I thought I was in labor and he just kind of blew me off because I was always 'crying wolf'. I went to the bathroom and saw a little blood which totally scared me. I called the nurse and she said that was perfectly normal and just to keep timing my contractions. I stayed home the rest of the day. My husband, still not believing me, went to the dentist. When he got back things started to get more intense. I kept getting in the tub and out of the tub. It made me feel better for a while. My husband kept timing the contractions until they were five minutes apart. Then I called the on call doctor and he said get to the hospital.

We arrived at the hospital at about 7:30 P.M. October 24, 2001. The nurse, Megan, checked me and said I was at 3 cm and 90% effaced. This was it, time to call the grandparents. My parents already had there bags packed and hopped in the car for the 5 hour car trip to the hospital. The nurse suggested that we walk the hallways to speed things along, sure enough 45 minutes later I was a good 4-5 cm. She asked me if I wanted anything for the pain and I said no. I was hanging in there just fine. The pain wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Well a couple contractions later I was begging my husband to go get the nurse. The contractions were getting more intense. The nurse came in and I got my epidural at 10:30. The nurse checked me at 10:50 and I was at 8 cm. I was very excited. Well my nurses shift was over at 11:30 so I got a new nurse, Michelle, she was also very nice. I was stuck at 8 cm and they were having a hard time monitoring my contractions with the external device so they had to insert an internal monitor.

My parents arrived at about 1:00 AM on October 25, 2001. At first I did not think that they would make it in time to see Jacob be born, but fortunatly I was still stuck at 8. The nurse had started me on pitocin to help me progress and sure enough by 2:30 AM I was starting to push. For me pushing was the hardest part. I still felt no pain because of my epidural, but I was vomiting from pushing so hard. Jacob was just not coming down. After 2 hours, I was just exhausted. The nurse asked if I wanted her to call the doctor and have him come and give me an episotomy and use the vaccum to help get him out. I was just so tired that I said yes. Jacob Michael was born at 4:29 AM after just 2 pushes with the vaccum. I had mecconium when my water broke so their was the peditrician in my room to look after Jacob. It turned out that Jacob also had his umbilical cord wrapped around his neck. When he came out he was limped. They suctioned him out and gave him oxygen. He finally took some breaths of his own. I only got to hold him for a few seconds before they rushed him to the special care unit. I made my husband follow.

Jacob was released from special care after 8 hours. He was breathing fine and had no other problems. I was very pleased with the way the birth went. The hospital staff was just terrific and made this a wonderful experience for me. He is now a healthy happy 4 month old and we are completly in love with him. I hoped you enjoyed our story.