Home First Baby Nathaniel's Birth Story By Lisa
Nathaniel's Birth Story By Lisa PDF Print E-mail
Birth Stories - First Baby Birth Stories
Wednesday, 18 February 2009 10:22
At 12:15 a.m. I was awoken by a sharp pain "down there" so I decided to stay awake & see what was happening. I thought I was having Braxton Hicks contractions, but they were 3-7 minutes apart & I had some more sharp pains every once in a while as well. I took a shower to relax & lay back down to time again. Nothing changed after another hour & I went back to sleep. That morning I got up, still feeling the regular squeezing of my uterus, & went into work but decided to call the Dr. & let her know how I was feeling. She replied by telling me to go to the hospital & get checked. My husband & I work in the same office & when I told him we needed to go to the hospital he was a little upset & knew we were wasting our time & would be sent home. It was too early he thought, at 36 weeks I still had 4 weeks to go. But, after being checked, it was determined I was 100% effaced & a very stretchy 4+ cm. The monitor showed contractions every 3-5 minutes although I couldn't feel many of them. I walked for a while & when I came back, I was at 5 cm & the baby was "right there" so the Dr. ordered the evil Pitocin & my water broken. Shock, we were staying to have a baby!! After my sister arrived, my husband went back to the office to close up his desk. At 1:50 p.m., the Pitocin was started & at 2:10 p.m. my bag of waters was broken. I felt my first "real" contraction at 2:45 p.m.& was highly amused at how little pain I was feeling though. I lounged around watching Magnum P.I. & calling friends. All of the sudden, the contractions started coming very fast & at 3:20 p.m. I told my sister to call my husband to get back now! Where was he? I walked down the hall with a towel between my legs, & into a Labor/Delivery room. Immediately upon entering the room, my contractions were 1 minute apart & made me nauseous & light headed with intense pressure on my lower back. What a quick & complete change from what I had been feeling. My husband got there in time to help me onto the bed & I hung over the back of it trying to get relief for my back as he pushed & rubbed it. Somewhere along the way I tore out the IV. I yelled at my hubby to quit leaving my side & to keep pushing my on back. I yelled at my sister to turn the T.V. off & to call my parents. (I'm usually very quiet, not the yelling type.) Without realizing I was in transition I pleaded desperately for an epidural thinking I would be there several more hours, this was my first baby, labor was supposed to be long, right? The nurse checked me & I was at 8 cm. Whew, I was almost done! Unfortunately she saw I had ripped the IV out of my arm. (I was also GBS +.) The rest of the labor was a blur to me because every time I moved I felt like I would pass out. I just stayed hung over the back of the bed with my rear end sticking out for the whole world to see, & I remember sleeping during the very short reprieves between contractions. The nurse tried to hold my arm down & stick in a new IV � ha! I rolled onto my back & told them I had to push. That got everyone's attention. It was about 4:00 p.m., I was rolled onto my side & told not to push (yeah right!) until the Dr. got there. Four miserable contractions later, I heard her voice & decided that was enough so I started pushing before she even had time to put on gloves & a gown. Oh what relief! I remember hearing distant voices all around, but ignoring them all & in a deep sleep like state between the strong, but widely spaced contractions, I was able to feel my baby move down my birth canal. I never felt the "ring of fire" but it was incredible to feel my body working the way God created it to. It was so amazing. 4 pushes & out popped my son, face up(!), at 4:23 p.m. His APGARs were 9, he weighed 6 lbs 6 oz & was 20" long with his little cone head. It was definitely not the labor experience I wanted, but the outcome is more than I could ever have wished for.

Nathaniel Thomas born to Duane & Lisa on March 28, 2001