Morgan's Miracle Birth By kathleen I. Print
Birth Stories - Complicated Birth Stories
Thursday, 12 February 2009 12:54
My boyfriend and I went to celebrate the New Year 1999 in Las Vegas, at which time my beautiful daughter was conceived. We weren't trying to get pregnant but we weren't doing anything to prevent it from happening either. Two and a half weeks later, even though I already knew, it was confirmed...I WAS PREGNANT. This was a very hard time for us emotionally, my boyfriend and I have been together for 5 years (I was 25 when we first starting dating, he was 23) and we did not have the love and support of our family members prior to this time due to the fact that we are an inter- racial couple (he is black, I am white). Because of this, we didn't have a very strong "family" relationship. However we chose to have this baby and love it none the less.

About 2 months into my pregnancy, my boyfriend and I went to the theatre. 10 minutes before the show was to start, I felt the need to go to the bathroom. When I go to the bathroom and pulled my pants down I was shocked to discover a large amount of blood on my panties. Needless to say, I ran out to tell my boyfriend, holding back my tears. He took me to the car and we found the nearest pay phone to call my OB. Through my tears, I explained the situation to my OB, who advised me to go to the Walk IN Clinic. By the time we got to the Walk IN Clinic, I had stopped bleeding. The doctor on call checked me and advised me that the baby was still inside of me, however I was ordered to bed rest for 3 days.

After passing the 12th week milestone, I finally told my parents. My mother was surprisingly very supportive and my father...well...he eventually came around. On May 11, 2000, I had my ultrasound with my mom and boyfriend present. Even though I had a feeling it was a girl, it was confirmed that it was. My baby has feet and toes, fingers and eyes and was already amazing to me. During my 5th, 6th and 7th month I spotted blood on and off. My OB said it was normal, not to worry. During the rest of my pregnancy, it was smooth sailing. My belly was never very large, but my OB said that was normal too and I was still within the "growth window". On September 21st, in the middle of the night, I started to have very mild contractions every 3-5 minutes apart. We decided to go the hospital only to be told when I got there that I wasn't dilated enough and was sent home.

The morning of September 23rd, I was feeling very tired, run down, and sick of being pregnant. I decided after laying on the couch for a good part of the morning, that I should take a shower (maybe that would help me feel better). My water must have broken in the shower at about 11am, because at about noon time, I started having contractions but they were never consistent as my OB advised they would be and they were never very strong.

At about 8pm, I called my doctor (still not knowing that my water broke) and told him about my contractions, he advised me to go to the hospital. When I arrived at the hospital I was 3 cm dilated and was there for the duration. In determining my dilation measurement the nurse also found out that my water had indeed broken and was gone. My baby had been moving around and swimming in nothing, I had no amniotic fluid. The nurses tried to replenish my fluids by inserting saline into me, to give my baby fluids so that she could come out naturally. Otherwise, I had a very high chance of having a "dry" birth. The nurses then, hooked up the external fetal monitor only to discover that they couldn't get a steady heartbeat, at which time they decided on an internal monitor. Minutes went by and they still couldn't get a steady heartbeat. The doctor on call was very dissatisfied with the heartbeat that she would advise my boyfriend, my mother, and me that I would have to have an emergency c-section due to fetal distress and no fluids.

At around midnight the nurses prepped me and wheeled me into surgery. AT 12:48 am, Sept 24,1999 with my boyfriend by my side, holding my hand, the doctors delivered my baby. The only thing that I remember of my deliver is the doctor saying "Wow, we have a tiny baby here" and the relief of my baby being lifted out of my rib cage. And then I heard the most miraculously, wonderful sound of my daughters cry. My daughter was born 4lbs, 13oz (caused, they say, by my narrow uterus) and 18 inches long. She was also born with a hole in her esophagus and air in her chest cavity. For the first 2 weeks of my daughters life she was in NICU being fed through a feeding tube inserted into her stomach and a breathing tube down her nose.

No one can imagine, unless they have experienced it themselves, the heartbreak of seeing your baby hooked up to every monitor, beeper, tube and IV imaginable and not being able to do a thing about it.

On October 10th, were able to bring our daughter home for the first time. There are many things in life I am thankful for, but I give Praise to the LORD for answering my prayers and keeping my daughter in his grace, so that she could and would overcome this obstacle.

I now have a beautiful, rambuncious, 18 month old daughter, who is COMPLETELY healthy. She is walking, talking and have many "boy" friends. The only sign of this ordeal is the tiny scar on her belly. My Daughter Morgan Elena is an Angel sent from Above.