Home Complicated Births Little Byron's Birth Story By Chrissy
Little Byron's Birth Story By Chrissy PDF Print E-mail
Birth Stories - Complicated Birth Stories
Wednesday, 11 February 2009 10:10
To start things off, my husband and I tried to get pregnant for 6 months after being told that with my "female problems", I may have a hard time. Well, on our 1 year anniversary we found out I was 5 weeks pregnant. We were so excited, scared, happy, etc. The beginning of my pregnancy was fine until around 7 weeks. I started getting morning sickness really bad. It would come out of no where and last all day. I missed so much work, I couldn't function or anything. Finally at 14 weeks along, I had lost 21 pounds, my doctor put me in the hospital because I was so dehydrated and just, not heathly. So, after that everything was great. I started showing, I wasn't sick anymore, and then....GESTATIONAL DIABETES. I hadn't been tested until 32 weeks, because I guess my doctor forgot about the test. So, turned out my levels were way high. I then went into pre-term labor at 35 weeks, but it was stopped because they baby wasn't ready. Then, around 37 weeks, I had an ultrasound to find out the size of the baby because I was measuring 3 weeks bigger. The ultrasound showed he was over 9 pounds. So, my doctor scheduled a c-section for Nov. 27th which was close to 3 weeks away. But, I was determined to have the baby BEFORE Thanksgiving. I went to a fair with my entire family on a Friday night (the 17th) to walk around and eat. Then the next night (18th)we walked around our towns Christmas fest, again I ate my way through it and walked. The next morning(19th) I picked up my niece to teach her a cheerleading dance routine. I hadn't been feeling good all day with cramps and I felt just sick. Then I thought I had to use the bathroom, so I went in. Well, about 3 trips to the bathroom with nothing happening, I decided that I was losing my mind. The last trip to the bathroom was different though. I was sitting down when I heard a loud thud. I looked down, and nothing. But I was wet. I called my husband in the bathroom because I thought my water broke, but because I cried wolf before, he didn't believe me. So...I stood up to get dressed, when my water REALLY broke. I didn't think it was ever going to stop. So...off to the hospital. This was around 2:30pm. We got there around 3:00 and my contractions really picked up. They were 3 min apart lasting 90 seconds. I told the nurse that I was supposed to have a c-section because of how big he was, so she examined me and then called the doctor. I was 3 cm and 100% effaced and his head was coming down nicely. The doctor said for me to wait out the labor because I may be able to do it vaginally then. Well 2 hours later, no progress. I decided to have an epidural, which gave me instant relief. I fell fast asleep. Then, an hour later, I woke up throwing up, which actually didn't bother me because I hadn't eaten and it made me feel better. Well another 3 hours, the nurse check me and I finally progressed to 4 cm. Well, she called the doctor and the doctor came in about 1 hour later. The doctor checked me and I was still 4 cm, but this time his head was further UP, not down. So, we decided to do the c-section. At, 7:45 they wheeled me into the operating room and performed the incision at 8:00pm. After being pulled and ripped apart, I finally heard my baby cry at 8:45pm. They wrapped him up, showed him to my husband and I and then took him to the nursery. My husband went with him, and while they were stitching me up, I got violently sick again. Everything was done around 9:20pm, and I was taken to recovery, where I stayed for 3 hours. I was sleeping the whole time, but also bleeding really heavy vaginally. I was taken to my room around 1am, when I began to feel really weak, tired, and sick. I was losing so much blood, they had to give me shot after shot to control it. Finally about 3 hours later,it was better. When I was able to stay awake, I wanted to know whether I could have the baby, when I got some terrible news. He was having problems breathing, he had a viral rash, and a temperature. They thought he had an infection, so they did a spinal tap, ECK, and took x- rays. Well, after a week in the hospital, it was determined that he did have a viral rash (still don't know what it is to this day), his breathing returned to normal, but he did develop thrush mouth which spread through his entire body. We were told that newborns don't get thrush mouth because it's a yeast infection. It was determined that I had a yeast infection and it traveled to him in the cervix from when my water had broken. Well, the hardest thing was leaving my baby in the hospital for a week when I went home. But, it was all worth it. I love my baby dearly.

Byron L Durning III
November 19, 2000
9 lbs 6 oz
21 inches
8:45 pm.