Micah's Birth Story By Amy Peterson Print
Birth Stories - Complicated Birth Stories
Tuesday, 10 February 2009 09:49
Before I get into my birth story I want to let every mother or father to be that reads this not be afraid. This condition was incredibly rare, so don't be fearful that this could happen to you.

August 17, 1998 was a very exciting day for my husband and I. We were closing on our first house and I found out I was pregnant and would be due April 24, 1999. We were not trying, so this was a surprise but a wonderful surprise.

I had a pretty uneventful pregnancy until I hit my 24th week. I was able to have another sonogram done since my husband's company changed insurance companies. We wanted to find out the sex of the baby so we thought that maybe this time, we would find out.

I knew something was wrong since the technician was very quiet. After about 45mins she left the room and came back and told me I needed to see my OBGYM immediately. I asked what the problem was and she said that I would have to talk to him. My DH and mother were with me and we drove to my doctor's office to find out what was going on. When I arrived they immediately rushed me back to a room and my doctor came in. He said that I have little to no amniotic fluid, which could mean 1 of 2 things: I was leaking and didn't know it or the baby did not have a bladder. (Your amniotic fluid is made up of the baby's urine). He said he would like to run a level 2 sonogram to find out what the problem was. I was put in the hospital for a 23hour observation and had 2 level 2 sonograms done. The second one, they told me the most horrifying news anyone could image. The doctor said that the baby did not have a bladder, or any kidneys, and due to not having any amniotic fluid his lungs would be very immature even if I carried to full term. He said there is a 100% chance he will die after I give birth to him. I think I cried like I had never cried before. We were all devastated!!! All I knew to do is to go home and pray. The Lord comforted me and my DH through this awful time. I just hoped that somehow everything would be okay.

On March 25,1999 I had a doctors appointment in the morning. He did an internal and said that I was 2 centimeters dilated. After leaving the doctors office I began to have contractions. I went to work and they continued all afternoon. I began timing them around lunch time, they were between 2 to 6 minutes apart. A co-worker of mine came to me and said she had been watching me and could tell that I was having contractions. I called the doctor's office and they told me to go to the hospital. I met my mom and husband on the L&D floor around 4:30pm. The nurses hooked me up to monitors and my OBGYN checked me and said I was 4 centimeters. Back in January the doctor told me the baby would not live through contractions, so I told him I wanted a c-section. He argued with me and then did as I wished. They prepped me for surgery and about 15 mins later I heard the most beautiful sound, my baby crying. The surgery was a breeze, I didn't feel a thing. They wrapped my son up, let me kiss him on the head and rushed him off to NICU.

After being in recovery for several hours, the doctor wheeled me into NICU and let all the grandparents and immediate family see my son. I was so drugged I barely remember holding him.

I woke up the next morning around 7am with a doctor bursting into my room saying we have to take him off the respirator. I begged the doctor to please wait until my father arrived. My husband, mom, and aunt stayed all night in the NICU with Micah. He said okay, he would wait. After they got me out of bed for the first time and wheeled me to the NICU my entire family and my husbands family started showing up. They brought us all into the hospital chapel and 2 mins later brought Micah into us. I just stared at him, I couldn't cry or do anything. About 5 minutes later, he took his last breath in my arms. I was so numbed I couldn't feel anything. The entire family was sobbing but I couldn't , I wanted to cry but I couldn't. I just held him. We passed him around and everyone said goodbye. About 4 hours later I was wheeled back into my room, the next few days, rather months are a blur all I did was cry after I left the hospital empty handed.

Our parents were such a support to my husband and I. And I know that my precious little boy is in the Lord's hands. The Lord did not take Micah, but He did receive him.

For anyone that has just lost a son or daughter, know that it takes time but eventually you will start to feel human again. I am excited to say that I am 6 weeks pregnant now and will be due in January of 2001. The only advise I know to give is to put your trust in the Lord, He is the only one that knows how to comfort you the way you need to be comforted. If anyone would like to talk to me please don't hesitate to email me at This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it . I would be glad to talk with you.

To my son Micah - "I love you so much and can't wait to see you again soon in heaven"

And to my Husband, "Thank you for being so wonderful and supportive. I love you both!!!"