Home Complicated Births Waiting For Sam By Kathleen
Waiting For Sam By Kathleen PDF Print E-mail
Birth Stories - Complicated Birth Stories
Tuesday, 03 February 2009 08:51
I was tired of being pregnant by the time I was six months along. I was dying to see my little boy, and I've never been good at waiting. And I knew there was a pretty good chance that my pregnancy would go beyond it's due date because of my maternal history. Both my mother and my grandmother had never gone into natural labor, and both had to be induced about a MONTH after their due dates. When my doctor heard this, she shook her head and told me that I would probably need to be induced too.

When September 10th, my due date, came and went my doctor scheduled me to be induced on September 16th. I was thrilled because my mom had come to stay with us and that meant she wouldn't miss the birth, as she had to leave the next week.

On September 13th, my husband, my mom and I spent the day at the mall, looking at baby items. By that evening, I was exhausted. When we got home, I rushed into the bathroom. When I discovered I was bleeding, my mom and husband got very excited. We called the doctor, who said I was in the early stages of labor but there was no need to rush in. I should time the contractions and call her in the morning. I had some moderately painful contractions that were somewhat irregular. I fell asleep thinking about how I would see my baby soon.

When I woke up the next morning my contractions were completely gone. I was so disappointed. After sulking for a few minutes, I walked into the living room to lie down on the couch. I felt something like a bubble burst in my stomach and my contractions started again. We decided to go to the hospital just in case. It was about 10:00 a.m. At the hospital, the nurse told me that my water had broken, but the baby hadn't dropped, and I wasn't at all dilated. I would need Pitocin after all.

I spent the day in bed, getting more and more Pitocin, and still dilating very slowly. At about 2PM I got an epidural. The nurse insisted because I was in so much pain she couldn't examine me. Not that I argued with her. At one point, my husband needed to leave to pick up his daughter from his first marriage. He nervously asked my doctor if he was at risk of missing the birth. She snorted and told him "This baby isn't coming out today!"

After my epidural I felt pretty good until late that night. Suddenly I threw up and started feeling like I needed to go to the bathroom. I was so uncomfortable that I was ready to crawl to the bathroom, epidural or not. The nurse ignored my complaining and examined me again. She said it was time for me to push.

After pushing as hard as I could for 45 minutes, Sam was born at 2:28am. They handed him to me and just as quickly snatched him away. They were concerned that he wasn't crying very much. It turns out he had swallowed a lot of amniotic fluid. The nurses worked on him for about twenty minutes. My husband told me later that they were talking about taking him to ICU. Luckily, that wasn't necessary, and today Sam is a healthy, happy two year old, now expecting a younger brother or sister.