Home C-Section Births Kiera Marie's Story By Heather Hayes
Kiera Marie's Story By Heather Hayes PDF Print E-mail
Birth Stories - C-Section Birth Stories
Thursday, 12 February 2009 14:01
Kiera's due date was April 20, 2000, and throught the pregnancy, I'd had my share of problems, and by March, I had been put on half time bedrest. By the first week of April, I was sentenced to full time bedrest. She was our first child, so I was engrossed with anticipation, excitement, nervousness, and anxiety. Being put on bedrest was terrible for me because I had been working full time and walking whenever I got a chance. I had visited my doctor on Monday, April 2, and she had taken note of some pre- eclampsia and the fact that I had gained about 5 pounds in one week. It was water, and there was nothing I could do about it. At that point, I was what she called "fingertip dilated." I went into the hospital late that night with severe stomach pains and a terrible migraine headache. My doctor had considered induction, but the pain subsided and they sent me home on Wednesday. My mom had driven 3 1/2 hours to get there in the middle of the night, so going home with no news of her first grandchild was disappointing, but I had a feeling it wouldn't be long for the "real thing." On Friday, I spent the day cleaning floors and dusting and organizing (even though I was sentenced to bedrest). My husband came home from work around 5:00, and I just wasn't hungry. I had a small sandwich, and we stayed up later than normal watching movies. We went to bed around 11:30 p.m. and I was hungry, but decided we'd just have a huge breakfast in the morning. I was too tired to get up and eat at this point. We also engaged in intercourse before I went to sleep. At 1:00 a.m., I was woken up to a puddle in my bed and my nightie was soaking wet. I was confused at first, then it dawned on me--my water had broken! I flipped on the light and woke up my husband and tried to get to the bathroom without soaking the carpet all at once! While I sat on the toilet and let the water run out of me, my husband got my things together and brought me some sweat pants and a sweatshirt. We called the hospital to let them know I was on my way, and they told me to protect the seats in the car, we could use garbage bags and towels between my legs. It must have been a funny sight in the parking lot late that night, and thank God there were no people around to see me hobbling up to the E.R. entrance with towels between my legs. We got up to Labor and Delivery, and I was hooked up to a monitor after they "made sure" I was indeed in labor and it was in fact amniotic fluid I was leaking. At this point, I still had not had contractions. It was a piece of cake! I used the jacuzzi and at around 6:00 a.m., they decided to talk to the doctor about starting Pitocin because I had been there almost 5 hours with no contractions. At 9:00 a.m., they started Pitocin. My contractions were few and far between, and they really cranked it up 1:30 p.m. I wasn't in much pain, but I was extremely tired. I had been asleep for less than an hour when my water had broken, so I'd been going almost non-stop since Friday morning with no sleep and essentially not much food. All I could think was that I would have this baby by supper time, and we could order a big pizza! By 9:00 p.m., I had only dilated to 3, and they were beginning to consider a c-section. I was terrified, and I did not want to go that route. I begged the doctor for another hour to progress on my own, so he complied and let me sleep for an hour, hoping when he came back, I'd be dilated even more. They had given me an epidural at this point, so I couldn't really feel anything at all in the stomach area. When the doctor came back around 9:45 and checked me, I had only dilated to 4, so they prepped me for a c-section. I was terrified and I clung to my husband's hand crying while the nurses shaved me and prepped my stomach with antiseptic. I felt terrible that I'd gone through all I had to have a c-section. But I was tired, and the baby was not fitting in the birth canal the right way, and each time the Pitocin was increased, her heart rate went down. I was in the operating room before 10:00 p.m. and Kiera was born at 10:26 p.m. on April 8, 2000. I remember feeling the tugging and pushing, but I couldn't see anything. I didn't hear her cry right away, either. They took her in the next room and I finally heard her cry. They fixed me up and stapled up my stomach and took me to recovery. I saw my baby shortly after, but I was so groggy and so tired that I was almost too shaky to hold her. I slept all night and asked for her right away at 5 a.m. the next morning. Kiera was healthy at 7 lbs. 13 ozs., 20 3/4 inches long. She had a full head of dark hair and blue eyes. Now she's a happy, outoing, talkative 14-month-old with blond hair and the same gorgeous blue eyes I see on her father every day. We will have another baby, but I can't help but be a little weary about having another situation the same as the first. I would like to be able to have a vaginal birth on my own, but the chances are always there of another c-section. The ultimate goal is a healthy baby and mother, but I would like to enjoy my baby after he or she is born rather than be groggy with the drugs and just fall asleep. The pain, the 21-hour labor, the unexpected c- section...it was all worth it. She's absolutely amazing.