Taylor Andrew's Birth Stories By Amy Giaimo Print
Birth Stories - C-Section Birth Stories
Friday, 14 November 2008 09:50
    I am proud to announce the arrival of my son, Taylor Andrew, into the world!!! He was born on April 22, 1997, weighing 7 lb, 10-1/2 oz, 20 in long.

Here is the birth story:

     I had been having trouble with pregnancy induced hypertension for about a month before the birth, and had been put on ever stricter bed rest. I had been going in for weekly dr visits and weekly non-stress tests since 36 weeks. At 36 weeks we had an US that looked great - estimated baby at 6 lb., 8 oz.

      At my 38 week appointment, my bp started creeping into the danger zone, and the doctor decided to send me over to the hospital for a NST, blood work and urine work to determine if I needed to be induced that day. Oh my gosh, freak out time - everything holding ok, sent home. This was a friday, so I had to go in on Sat for another round of urine and blood tests - those still ok - dr wants to see me on monday. I go in to the dr on monday - she tells me I am going to have the baby on Tuesday, 4/22.


7:15 am
     Check in to the hospital, get situated in room - getting a little nervous... Get IV set up, into a johnny, in bed.

8:00 am
     Dr. comes in, breaks my water and puts an internal fetal monitor on so I don't have to wear that obnoxious thing on my stomach.

1:00 pm
     Contractions just starting to get uncomfortable. The nurse reminds me that medication is mine if I want it. For a hospital that tells you you have to ask for meds, this nurse sure seems like a drug pusher...

2:30 pm
     Finally decide that Stadol would be nice - dr checks me and I am 4-5 cm so it is ok to get meds. Ahhh, what a relief. I don't particularly like the mind effect of the drug, but at least I can relax a little and get through the contractions better. I snooze for a couple of hours, waking up for the stronger contractions...

4:30 pm
     Stadol starts to wear off and can feel the contractions a little too well. Ask for epidural my new nurse asks if I can wait - I go from a drug pusher to a nurse I have to beg - at this point I am getting a "don't mess with me" attitude. They have to call the dr at her office, and she will be there within 30 min.

5:00 pm
     Dr. arrives - I am 5-6 cm - puts in epidural - even though they tell you not to jump at the novocaine shot, I do and she sternly tells me NOT to move again. I am told later that EVERYONE jumps at the novocaine shot, so they are expecting it.

5:30 pm
     Epidural is taking effect - can still feel contractions in small area on right side, but not too bad. Compared to no epidural, I can deal with it. Laying on side doesn't help.

6:30 pm
     That nasty epidural window is getting bigger, and I am really starting to feel some major pain. My whole right leg is no longer numb. Dr. keeps dosing the epi with no luck - the window is getting bigger and there is nothing she can do about it. Besides, I am at 9 cm and almost ready to push, so she doesn't want to dose too much.

7:00 pm
     Time to push! Baby is at -1 station - I have a very long way to go! I feel no urge whatsoever, and am in so much pain with each contraction! Pushing is so very painful for the first 2 pushes of each contraction, but it has to be done!

7:30 pm
Dr. feels the baby's head while I am pushing - says I am pushing correctly - he is still at -1 station. Wahhh!

8:00 pm
     Dr. tells me that the baby's head is rocking down with each push and pulling right back to -1 afterwards. He is not engaged, and not going anywhere. She is going to assemble the c-section team, which takes about 30 minutes. If I have moved that baby at all in the next 30 minutes, no c-section. At this point I am praying he doesn't move because pushing is so horrible.

8:30 pm
     I get my wish - ironic laugh here - he hasn't moved. The anesthesiologist comes in and starts telling me my options and the risks for being put under vs. a spinal. I choose a spinal and he has me sign a consent - I would love to see that signature today! I just want to stop talking about it and do it!!! I am shaved, taken into the operating room (luckily it is about 10 feet down the hall) and a spinal is finally put in at 8:55pm - relief!

9:05 pm
      I hear suctioning and then - a cry that sounds like a wounded animal at first. The Dr. says "boy, is HE pissed!" My DH stands up and snaps a picture of him being taken out and I see DH crying. I have never seen him cry. It was very emotional. He goes over to the warming table with the baby - he gets APGARS of 9 and 10. I can hear the pediatrician and the surgeon saying how beautiful he is. My DH brings him over so I can get a glimpse. I can hardly believe he is here! The anesthesiologist tells me it will be another hour before I am stitched up and strongly suggests I have a morphine-like drug (don't remember the name of it) to help me relax. I agree.

10:00 pm
      I come to in my room. My DH comes in with the baby and puts him next to me to breastfeed. He takes the breast immediately and suckles for an hour. I am in heaven!

     I spoke with my dr the next day about what happened. Her guess is that I have a pelvic inlet that is too small to give birth to anything larger than maybe a 5 pound baby. She let the epidural wear off so that she would be sure that the trouble wasn't with feeling to push. She said that before the next baby I should have a CAT scan done of my pelvis to verify the problem, but that in her opinion, she would never ask me to do a trial of labor again. When she opened me up, the baby was tucked face down in perfect birthing position, so most likely it was a pelvic problem. I am moving in 3 weeks to Minnesota, so I will definitely get all this in writing so that I can talk intelligently to my next doctor. I will find a dr who will work with the problem (ie scheduled c-section if necessary).

     She said that the epidural window is caused by either a curvature of the spine at that lumbar spot or the catheter was inserted crookedly. There is a good chance that the same thing would happen next time. That's enough to skip it altogether!

     So, all in all, I probably ended up with almost every intervention possible. Here I was expecting a quick vaginal birth since I have wide hips and big bones! Goes to show you never know! The only part that traumitized me was the epidural not working right and feeling so much pain. If I have all my kids by section that is ok - it's not that bad. And the prize at the end is definitely worth it! It was actually nice to have a little extra time in the hospital to learn how to be a mom and be coddled by the nurses! Plus you can have the baby stay in the nursery if you want to get extra sleep at night! Now I am really glad I took advantage of that. Taylor is getting up every 3-4 hours to feed, but is very good about going right back to sleep, so I can rest, too. He is the sweetest baby - hardly ever fusses.

      I was able to breastfeed for about 5 days, but it just wasn't working. I had breast reduction 10 years ago and although I can produce milk, it isn't enough. Once my milk came in, I had a ton of plugged ducts, so I had to quit. At least I did it for a little while!

      Ok, I have gooshed long enough. I just never thought I would be so in love...