Home C-Section Births Josephine's Birth Story By Sandy
Josephine's Birth Story By Sandy PDF Print E-mail
Birth Stories - C-Section Birth Stories
Thursday, 12 February 2009 13:14
My daughter, Josephine, was unplanned but a blessing all the same. I was 21 when I found out that I was going to have a child. And I was shocked, and I was scared, and I was excited.

Everything went well in the beginning of my pregnancy. I gained just the right amount of weight and my daughter was healthy. It all started to change when I was about 7 months pregnant. I started to gain weight at a really fast rate. At least 2-5 pounds a week. One week I gained 19 lbs. My feet, ankles and legs started to swell. I couldn't wear socks and most shoes no longer fit. My doctor's didn't seem concerned. As long as my blood pressure was low, they wouldn't retest me for gestational diabetes. I went into labor when I was 32 weeks pregnant. Luckily, I was smart enough to recognize the signs. I called Kaiser, who didn't want to see me, and made them see me. And sure enough, I was in labor. Fortunately they were able to stop labor. I was kept on medicine to stop labor until 37 weeks. Then I tried everything to start my labor back up.

At 41 1/2 weeks I went into labor again. I was so excited to see my daughter. It was 4am on Saturday October 30. I tried to go back to sleep but failed. I went shoping with my mother and spent most of the morning trying to ignore the pain. Eventually my labor was down to 5 minutes apart and I was allowed to go to the hospital. That was at 2pm. In triage I found out that I was 3-4 centimeters dialated. I was excited because I knew that I was on my way. They told me that if I would walk for an hour they would give me an epidural when that hour was up. So I walked. I walked around that wing for many miles in that hour. And I felt fine.

I got my epidural and felt fine for a couple of hours. I was progressing without much pain. Then it all stopped. I stopped progressing and after they started to induce my contractions I became sick. The epidural was giving me a headache and not taking away my pain. I couldn't sleep, all I did was cry. I begged for a C-Section. By this time it was 2am Sunday morning. The doctor's refused (I was on my second doctor by this time). At 7am I started to push, although I was only dialated to 8 centimeters. I just couldn't stand it and was desperate to give birth. At about 9 am, my doctor told me that she thought I would need a C-section. This was my third doctor and she had just come on shift. I was so happy that I was crying. At that point I would have done the operation myself. Now it was 9am but it was really 10am because of the clocks had just been set back. So I had been in labor for 30 hours, done 2 hours of pushing, hadn't slept at all and hadn't eaten anything since Friday night. I was ready.

They wheeled me into the operating room and prepared for the surgery. The ran a sharp utensil across my stomach to see if I could feel and I could. So they had to up my dose of epidural 3 more times before I was completely numb. The surgery went quickly. It was great. Although, it didn't feel that great. I could feel my daughter being pulled out of my pelvis. Which was uncomfortable. And I had a reaction to all the drugs and started to shake. But that was made all better with a warm towel. Then my daughter was born at 10:47am on Halloween. She was huge, 9lb 11oz and 22in long, and she was beautiful. I was in love. And I knew that everything had been worth it. She was here and healthy and that's what mattered.

The doctor's let her father wheel her out to meet her waiting family (who had been with me all night). As soon as she was out of the room, I fell asleep (wouldn't anyone?) and when I woke back up, I was in the recovery room and she was next to me. It was the most incredible thing. I would go through everything, and much worse, to do it again.