Byrons Big Day! By CHRISSY Print
Birth Stories - C-Section Birth Stories
Wednesday, 11 February 2009 11:41
One of the most happiest days of my life was March 24, 2000. That's the day I found out I was finally pregnant after trying for a while. I was scheduled to start my first round of clomid to try to speed things along. I went for my first blood test to confirm I wasn't pregnant and it came back that I wasn't. So a week later I went in for the fertility appt. and they did a urnine test to be sure, and that was POSITIVE!!! I was so happy, I couldn't wait to tell my husband. Well, since I had a previous pregnancy that ended in a miscarriage, I thought I wouldn't have morning sickness because I didn't before. Boy was I wrong. I was about 5 weeks when I found out I was pregnant.

About 7 weeks U was very queasy, and then around 8 1/2 weeks, it hit me bad. It wasn't morning sickness, it was all day and all night sickness. I tried everything, finally the doctor gave me supositories to use. I was told not to worry because it usually ended around the 3rd month.

Well at 14 weeks I was hospitalized for dehydration and also because I lost 21 pounds in less than 2 1/2 weeks. After that I was fine. Then around 19 weeks, we found out it was a boy which is what we wanted, From the time I started to show (about 13 weeks) everyone kept telling me how big I was. I was told that around 27 weeks I would go for a glucose tolerance test...but somehow my doctor didn't send me until 34 weeks right after I went into premature labor.

At every doctor appt I went to, I was always measuring almost a month bigger. On October 20, I started having little contractions (like BH) about every 5 minutes. Well, about an hour later I noticed how bad they were getting and called the doctor.

I went to her office and she said that if I wasn't dialating, it was ok because then the contractions weren't the "real" ones. Well, I was contractiong so off to the hospital we went. It took 3 shots of medicine to stop the contractions, and it finally worked. So, they sent me on my way and the next week, I went for my GTT.

Well, it came up positive, I had gestational diabetes. I had to test my sugar all day long and eat little sugars so that nearly killed me. Well, about 2 weeks from my due date, I went for my check up and I measured 43 weeks when I was about 38. She sent me for an ultrasound and weekly non stress tests to get monitored.

My ultrasound came back that the baby was about 9 pounds 1 oz, but that it could be off a pound or 2. The doctor decided not to induce me and instead plan a c-section on my due date. So, that was ok with me because then I knew when it was going to happen and I could plan accordingly. Someone forgot to tell that to the baby.

Friday night was the carnival that my whole entire family walked around at. Saturday was a Christmas party and parade that we all went to again and walked around and ate through. That night I was feeling weird but couldn't place it. Sunday morning, I took a shower and felt like I was leaking something but paid it no attention because I thought of that all throughout my pregnancy.

I picked up my neice to finish teaching her a dance for her cheerleading squad (9 months pregnant and choreographing) when I kept feeling sick to my tummy and that I had to use the bathroom. Well, after 2 trips to the bathroom, I really felt funny. I was in the bathroom and felt pressure, then all of a sudden it sounded like I pee'd a whole lot but it didn't feel like that. So immediately I stood up and I must have made a noise because my husband ran in. I told him I thought my water broke and he asked if I was sure when out it all came. I was so scared.

We got to the hospital about 1/2 hour later and was told that the doctor wanted me to labor and see if I could do it naturally. I labored for 2 hours, then got my epidural. Then continued for another 4. Doctor came in to check me and found I had made no progress and that if felt like he was too big. Off to the OR I went.

I was awake throughout the operation. My husband was right there with me. I was told that from start to recovery, it would be about 2 hours. They started the operation at a little before 8pm...He was finally born at 8:45.

Byron III weighed 9 lbs, 6 ozs and was 21 inches tall. I got to see him for a second and they took him right out. I was stitched up and brought to recovery where I stayed for 3 hours. I wasn't doing too good..I was losing lots of blood. I was able to get moved to my room but wanted to see the baby.

About an hour later the Pediatrician came in and told me that the baby had a fever and breathing problems. They couldn't figure out what was wrong so they wanted to do a spinal tap to be sure. Only a few hours old and he had to endure something so painful.

Well, to make a long story short, spinal tap was clear and later after developing a horrible rash, they concluded he had a severe case of thrush due to a severe yeast infection I had for a long time during pregnancy and when my water broke, he got the infection really bad.

After almost having a 2nd surgery to control my bleeding again, an allergic reaction to medicine they gave me, and a week after he was born, we were able to take our son home.

He is now 4 months old, weighs over 20 pounds, and is almost 28 inches tall (still a big baby), he's the best thing that ever happened to us! We love him so much. But...I don't think we'll be having another any time soon. I am 22, my husband 23, but I don't think we have the stamina for another!