Tyson's Birth story By Lynn Jackson Print
Birth Stories - C-Section Birth Stories
Wednesday, 11 February 2009 10:32
The day our son was born was magical, beautiful and absolutely terrifying. Of course I had this beautiful, fast birth in mind. All would be perfect with no complications. It never happens like that does it? My labor started on May 16th (my sister in laws Birthday!) I felt heavy and anxious all day and I was already 6 days over-due so I was getting jumpy! At 4:30 a.m. on May 17th my husband and I drove to the hospital after enduring a back labor at home and intense pain shooting through my back. We arrived at triage and I was checked out and was I dissapointed when the Dr. told me I was only 2-3cm dialated. I thought that can't be right, I've got to be at least 8cm for what it feels like!

Oh well what could I do, my son would arrive when he was ready. My stubborn baby, just like his daddy!

At 7:00 a.m. I was admitted to my birthing room and we continued to wait, my contractions were coming every 2 minutes and lasting for a full minute and I still didn't want an epidural. I was trying to be brave and strong and I have no idea why I was being so stubborn. I really do not believe that we have to endure intense pain to really appreciate our children. I carried him for 41 weeks and I will love him every day I am on this planet and beyond. Well, once I got that through my head I agreed on an epidural. I was still only 4cm now and it was not progressing as they had hoped. Once I got the epi I was able to relax and finally get off my feet. It was a welcome relief to be able to rest for a bit. This went on for some time and probelms began to arise, problems that I will always be haunted by. We had an amazing team of Dr.s' and nurses, and I am forever grateful for their kindness, patience and understanding of our fear.

My labor was not progressing so they decided to give me patosin (sp?) to help my labor along. It didn't, Tyson (my son) was so big that he was not able to start his way through the birth canal. I think they saw this coming they just wanted to give me every opportunity to deliver vaginally, I was absolutely terrified of a c-section and felt like I was missing out on the biggest thing of my life if they had to take him that way. I absolutely did not want that. But then this was not all about me.. I needed to do what was best for our son. The scary thing that led to the decision of my having a c-section was his heart-beat dropped drastically a few times, it would be normal and then it would drop. I had to shift on all 4's and then they would find it again, they were afraid the stress was causing him to move about too much and the umbilical cord was around his neck. I had every tube imaginable inserted into me and at this point I felt like a lab animal and I was so scared for my son. Right before they decided to do the c-section I was in so much stress and my body was going through such trauma my they lost my heart-beat. My husband was terrified now, even more than before. He kept thinking he was going to lose his wife and his son. They gave me ephanephrine (sp) to get my heart-beat back to normal again. And the strange thing is all through this I knew in my heart that I and our son would be fine, I had this sense of peace that my son would be born strong, beautiful and perfect. I was right...

I was brought to the OR to be prepped, I was so scared, I didn't want this, I wanted to go through the pushing and all, but this was to be. I had to do this for my son.

In the OR my Dr. was so great, she asked me what kind of music I liked and we agreed upon Eic Clapton. The tone in the OR was calm and serene. By the time they allowed my husband in after they had prepped me I was relaxed and feeling much better. The Dr.s' were singing along and chatting and it felt like a scene out of the tv show er. As it progressed I couldn't believe what was actually happening. They were going to give me my son, my baby, my love.

At 2:24 p.m. on May 17th, 2000 to the tune of Eric Clapton, "You look wonderful tonight" our son Tyson Avery Jackson was born. He weighed 9 pounds and 8 ounces and was 23 inches long! He entered this world with a full head of black curly hair and a huge cry for mommy and daddy. And every day since then I have loved, cradled and fallen deeper in love with my little miracle. We were truly blessed.

And to all of you mommies to be and mommies that have experienced a similiar experience. It is scary but wow isn't it worth it?!