Piper's Birth Story By Toni Anderson Print
Birth Stories - C-Section Birth Stories
Thursday, 05 February 2009 09:37
Even though my pregnancy was not planned, both my boyfriend and I were very excited that we were going to have a baby. Also, despite our unmarried state, I knew we were both mature enough (in our 30s) with the financial stability required to raise a child. My pregnancy progressed rather uneventfully. I remember being SOOO tired during my first trimester and nauseous (unless I ate plenty of comfort food). At about week 21, I experienced extreme round ligament pain, but it subsided after a couple days.

As I neared my due date of September 1, I began getting VERY uncomforable. I couldn't sleep laying down because my limbs would go numb, my stomach itched horribly and heartburn was my constant companion! My last day of work was August 31 and I was so excited to think that my baby could arrive at any time. On September 10 (a Friday) after hearing my doctor say, "Well, we'll see you back here on Monday", I called my boyfriend at work and could only sob with frustration. It was hot outside, I was uncomfortable and the numerous non-stress tests had given my a horrible back ache. So, we went out for a wonderful all-you-can-eat perch dinner to help take our minds off our predicament. Later that evening, while laying on the couch trying to get comfortable, I had a horrible pain in my stomach and a bout of diarrhea. "Just great" I thought, "not only do I have a backache, but now I get food poisoning on top of it!"

Well, 8 minutes later, I had another pain and then 8 minutes after that, another one. I had expected to breathe through the pains and have a natural child birth. However, I never anticipated the pains being that bad right off the bat! After an two hour shower, Mike and I went in and were admitted to the hospital. We spent another hour or so in the shower there. Finally at about 6 a.m. I had had enough! Give me drugs!

My nurse gave me a dose of Stadol which didn't help the pain but caused me to care less about it. Unfortunately, the Stadol also caused me to regress from 6 centimeters dialated back to five. After being told that Pitocin was going to be necessary, I asked for the epidural. About 9 a.m. the anesthesiologist finally arrived. The epidural hurt much less than the I.V. and took effect within minutes. I was in heaven!

By 10 a.m. I was 10 centimeters and ready to push. I squatted, pushed on my back, pushed while on my hands and knees, but nothing I did could bring my baby down. After 2 1/2 hours of pushing (with my epidural medication long gone) and still not even at 0 station, I gave up. I told the doctor on call that I refuse to push anymore, to order me prepped for a C-section.

Despite his disapproval, I was (quite roughly) moved to an operating room. When they began the C-section, I knew something was wrong because I could feel a burning sensation where they were cutting. Apparently while moving me to the OR, my epidural catheter had been dislodged and was no longer effective. The anesthesiologist quickly put me under. I awoke about one hour later to a beautiful baby girl that weighed 7 pounds 15 ounces.

As a lullaby played for us over the hospital p.a. system, Mike and I could only marvel at how gorgeous our little one was! I later found out that Piper was positioned face up which was why I couldn't push her out. She ended up with a huge round bruise on her forehead from being wedged against my cervix. Despite my delivery woes, I would do it all over again in a heartbeat for my precious girl, Piper.