Cheryl's Birth By Darlene Print
Birth Stories - C-Section Birth Stories
Wednesday, 04 February 2009 10:30
My second child was born in August. There were a few complications with this pregnancy that ended in a c-section. At 8 weeks gestation, I began spotting and cramping at work. This scared me, but I tried not to get too stressed about it since that could make things worse. When I got to the doctors office, my ultrasound showed that the placenta had pulled away from the uteran wall. After taking a week off of work and being on bed rest, everything seemed to be back to normal.

Checkups continued on a regular basis and everything appeared to be going normally. At 29 weeks gestation, my doctor recorded an irregular heart beat. He referred me to a perinatologist that ran several ultrasound tests that revealed a common irregularity that usually disappears at birth. My doctor placed me on fetal monitoring twice a week for the next month. After a week, the heart rate seemed to be back to normal. My doctor continued the fetal monitoring for a couple more weeks just in case something happened. Eerything was acting normal.

At 39 weeks, my doctors visit ended up in a call to the hospital finding out when they could take me in for inducing. The baby seemed healthy and everything was going fine. I got to the hospital at 7:30 p.m. and was hooked up to all kinds of monitors. At approximately 7:45, they broke my water since I was already having mild (or what seemed like mild) back labor. Shortly after my water was broke, the baby's heart rate became abnormal again. Right before a contraction would begin the baby's heart rate would rise to 300 and towards the end would fall to 90. Between the contractions, everything was fine.

The nursing staff contacted my doctor who arrived within 15 minutes. He looked over the readout and decided that it would be necessary to do a c-section since this irregularity was stressing the baby and no one knew how long the baby's heart would hold out.

At 10:22 p.m. my daughter Cheryl Marie was born weighing 7 lb. 8 oz. and measuring 20 1/2 inches long. She was put through many tests and given antibiotics for three days just in case I had passed the Beta Strep to her.

Everything was fine and she is continuing to trek the healthy path. Throughout the pregnancy, my husband, family and co-workers were supportive and willing to do anything needed to make my life a little easier. Thanks to Dr. Kramer and the staff that helped with the safe delivery of my daughter at St. Rose Dominican Hospital in Las Vegas, Nevada.