Destiny's Birth Story By Wendy Print
Birth Stories - C-Section Birth Stories
Wednesday, 04 February 2009 09:44
This was my first pregnancy. I'm 32. It was a healthy pregnancy that had the normal symptoms: morning sickness, heartburn (a lot of heartburn because my baby had a lot of hair) and the worst thing was the swelling. My ankles were swollen up like grapefruits. My calves were swollen too. I am 5'7 and I weighed 158lbs. when I found out that I was pregnant. When I went in to deliver I was up to 216lbs. Don't worry. My baby is 6 weeks old and I've already lost 35lbs. and still loosing. It's not hard.

My due date was September the 10th, 1999 but that came and went. I was at my weekly doctors appointment on September the 16th and the doctor told me to come to the hospital at 7pm that night and that I would deliver the next day. He said that my blood pressure was too high. I was so excited!! I was finally going to get to see our baby! I had two ultrasounds but we couldn't really tell if it was a boy or girl. My husband told me from the beginning that we were going to have a girl so we picked out a girl name and girl clothes.

I went home and got everything ready and then my husband came home from work. We took off for the hospital. When I got there the nurses had me put on the lovely hospital gown then they put two external monitors on me. One for the baby's heartrate and one for my contractions. I was having contractions and I didn't even know it!! Later on in the evening we were noticing that whenever I had a contraction the baby's heartrate would go down. The baby hadn't even dropped yet and my water didn't break. The doctor tried to break it but it was too high, just like the baby. That's when he told me that I might have to have a C-section. They gave me a sleeping pill to sleep through the night.

I slept sound all through the night. In the morning I had lots of visitors and then at 12:00 that afternoon the nurses came in and told me that they were going to prep me for a c-section. Off I went into the operating room and they gave me a spinal block. It didn't hurt at all. The only thing that I felt was a sensation of hot liquid going into my right leg then I was numb. After I was numb and laying there waiting for them to cut me open, my husband came in. He looked really cute in the hospital attire. He was right there by my head and the nurse was with me too, keeping me calm. After only about 5 minutes I heard our baby cry!! That was the greatest sound! Then the baby's pediatrician brought the baby over for us to see! My husband and the pediatrician went to the nursery to get the baby cleaned up while I laid there as they stapled me back up. We had a baby girl, Destiny Nicole Drain, born September the 17th at 12:21pm weighing 8lbs. 2 oz. and was 19 and 1/2 inches long. Her Apgars were 10 and 10. She was a perfect 10!

Like I said, she's six weeks old now and smiles all of the time, sleeps all through the night and can already hold her head up. I thank God for a healthy, beautiful baby.