Home C-Section Births Scotty's Big Day By Kristi
Scotty's Big Day By Kristi PDF Print E-mail
Birth Stories - C-Section Birth Stories
Wednesday, 14 January 2009 09:30
I was very excited when I found out I was pregnant. My husband and I had only been married about a year, but I knew a baby was something we dearly wanted.

I knew my pregnancy was going to be quite difficult after a truck ran through the middle of our house when I was five months pregnant. A dresser fell on my back, which sent me to the hospital with mild contractions. Luckily, the contractions subsided and I was able to carry the baby to term (and longer).

At a doctor's appointment when I was 36 weeks, he told me I was already about 1 to 2 cm dilated and 75 percent effaced. He thought the baby would probably come early. On April 11, 1999, my husband and I thought the big day had finally arrived when I started feeling contractions. I arrived a tthe hospital and was hooked up to a fetal monitor only to find out the contractions were not strong enough to change my cervix so my doctor sent me home.

On April 19, 1999, my doctor decided to induce me (I was four days past due and my doctor was leaving for a vacation). When I arrived at the hospital at 7 a.m. I was already 3 cm dilated. The pitocin started at 8 a.m. and by 9 a.m. I was already 4 cm. I received my first epidural at 4 1/2 cm and everything was going fine until the anesthesiologist gave me a drug (Relaxin) in my IV to break down the food compounds in my stomach. About 30 minutes after he administered the drug my face started going numb. I couldn't breathe and was getting quite scared. The epidural was taken out and I was given oxygen.

I was given another epidural (number two) about an hour later. The doctor kept hitting my spine and he decided to give it another try in about an hour. Epidural number three finally worked.

A total of 6 hours went by without any changes in my cervix and the baby wasn't dropping. The doctor said we would have to make a decision on a c- section soon because my cervix wasn't changing and the baby wasn't handling the labor. We soon learned we made the right decision in a c-section because the umbilical cord was wrapped around his head.

Scott Hunter Hayes was born at 6:54 p.m. He weighed 7 lbs. 5 oz. It's now impossible to imagine a life without him.