Home C-Section Births My Pregnancy Scare and Our Miracle Patrick By Lee Anne
My Pregnancy Scare and Our Miracle Patrick By Lee Anne PDF Print E-mail
Birth Stories - C-Section Birth Stories
Wednesday, 14 January 2009 09:27

Hi I'm 25 years old and this is my first baby. I was so happy when the doctor called me back and said the test was positive. I was excited, as my husband and I have been planning for two years. Well everything was going great with my pregnancy with morning sickness and my weight was going right along with my pregnancy. I went for my 5 month ultrasound and everything came back fine. All was well with my pregnancy and they gave me my due date of Feb 18th 1999. My husband came with me for my 7 month ultrasound and went for my checkup and my ob told me everything was good. As I waited for my due date to arrive I was getting excited. The ob told me that I was going to have a normal pregnancy and that everything would go great. My due date came and then was gone. I was 10 days overdue.

The ob told me that I had to be induced because he didn't want to take any chances on anything going wrong. I was in 2 days before my admitting date because I was having contractions. The nurses assessed me and told me that the contractions weren't close enough so they sent me home. On March 1st 1999 they admitted me into the hospital to get induced, where they put this gel into me to help ripen the cervix as nothing was happening. The nurses came to check up on me but the gel wasn't doing a thing to help. The following morning March 2nd at 8:00 am I called my husband and nothing was happening so he decided to head to work. They brought my breakfast to me and at 8:15 am my water broke and I paged the nurse and told them I thought my water broke. The nurse came in an said that there was ruptured membranes and we need to get this girl to the OR for an emergency c-section. I had no idea what was going on and I became very uptight and started to cry.

Into the OR I went, and as they strolled me there a nurse was putting an IV into my hand. All they asked me is to move over to the or bed. They rubbed this sterile stuff on me so they could do the c-section without any problems. All I remember is the Anesthesiologist asking me questions if I ever had regular anesthetic before. I told them it was ok because I had anesthetic before. All I remember is waking up seeing my son in a incubator, my husband and mom. After getting a chance to hold my little patrick's hand and telling him I loved him and to fight. They rushed him to the children's hospital of Ontario.

I was out of anesthetic and kept dozing because of all the medication they gave me for the pain. I had a priest ask me and my husband if we wanted our son baptised because they didn't know if he was going to make it or not. We went ahead and got him baptised.

I was then brought back to my room and dozing in and out. I had the priest visit my room and give me two charms for me and my son. I then had my Ob come into my room and say he was sorry to hear what had happened. I was then told what had happened to my little one. It took the doctors 14 mins to get him out and 20 mins to revive him. The umbilical cord wasn't attached to the placenta it was attached by vessels and that is why I had a hard delivery. When the water broke the umbilical cord tore away from the placenta causing lack of oxygen to the brain and blood. When Patrick was born they had to give him a blood transfusion because the blood loss was too much. They call this vaso previa. It is related to placenta previa.

I was so depressed because we had a big storm and I was unable to see my son for three days and that was really hard. We were able to call the hospital whenever we wanted to. The first few days our son was having the shakes and seizers but they stopped on the third day.The hospital warned me that baby Patrick would have tubes and wires and they had to shave his head to put an IV in him. My husband and myself would go and visit Patrick on the forth day and it was wonderful as I got a chance to hold our son. My husband would visit everyday to make sure our son was doing ok. Patrick had to go through a lot of tests where they did an ultrasound and EEC for the brain to make sure nothing serious happened when the oxygen supply was cut off. Everyday was a critical one because they didn't know what else to expect.

Well the days went by and we went to visit everyday and I was still at the hospital myself. I was at the hospital until that following week I was able to go home. It was not a wonderful feeling going home without your little one.It is an empty feeling and you feel like you left something behind but unsure what that is. The doctors were amazed on how well he was doing and called him a miracle because he fought his way to this world. On Tuesday the 7th of March we were able to stay with our son for the night at the hospital, where he had no tubes or monitors attached to him. I was able to be a mom for the first time. The next morning the nurses told me that they thought our son was coming home today and I was so excited. Around 10 am the doctors came to assess our baby Patrick and told me that he was doing great and he was ready to come home. This is a feeling I will never forget. I called my sister-in-law and said Patrick is coming home get the carseat and diaper bag.

That day I will remember. Now he is three months old and doing well. We still have to continue our visits with the children's hospital but all his milestones seem to be ok. We have a lot to be grateful for.

Thanks for listening to my story. I'm happy to share it with you. If you want to reply back about my story you can send e-mail to This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it or This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

7 Weeks Old

Is That You??