Home Birth Center Births Kyle's Birth Story: It was a long labor, but was well worth it!! By Cheryl
Kyle's Birth Story: It was a long labor, but was well worth it!! By Cheryl PDF Print E-mail
Birth Stories - Birth Center Birth Stories
Wednesday, 11 February 2009 09:00
I realized that I was in labor at around noon on Sunday, September 3,2000. My contractions were consistently coming every five minutes and were getting stronger each time. When I called the Women's Pavilion at Anderson Hospital, they told me to lay on my left side and see if my contractions still came 5 minutes apart. Well, they didn't. They lengthened and began coming every 9-10 minutes. Finally, at 5:00 pm my contractions were 5 minutes apart again. This time I called the hospital and said that my husband and I were on our way to the hospital.

When I arrived, they checked me and discovered that I was only 2 cm dilated and 75% effaced. They had me walk around the pavilion for 1 hour. But after only a short time of walking, I found it too hard to walk through the contractions. The nurse checked me and said I was still only 2 cm dilated. I was not going home! I wanted this labor to continue at the hospital.

At that very moment, my OB arrived. Dr. Hurford said that he would break my water since I was two days late. I was elated. When he broke my water, things progressed slowly. By 10:00pm, I was only 5 cm dilated and 95% effaced. I was dilated to 10 and 100% effaced by 6:00 am Monday the 4th of September (Labor Day). I did not have it easy because my little angel did not wish to come under my pelvic bone. He would move back up each time I pushed. I became so exhausted that I begged the nurse to let me rest. I could not push anymore. She did let me rest for about 40 minutes. When 40 minutes had passed, Dr. Hurford came in to check on me. He said it is time and he motivated me to keep trying. I did the typical thing of giving up. My husband was also very motivating and helped by pushing up my back and counting. I could not feel much because I had three updates on my epidural (It wore off two times and the pain was terrible until it began working again.). I pushed for three hours and finally Kyle Matthew Walsh made his entrance into the world. He weighed 7 pounds 9 ounces and was 20 and one-half inches long.

He is a beautiful baby with strawberry blonde hair and is growing by leaps and bounds every day. At his first doctor's visit he weighed 11 pounds 5 ounces and was measured at 22 inches long. He really has filled out. I am enjoying him so much and have already begun planning when I want to have another baby. It was the most painful experience I have ever had, but it was so worth it.