What Exercises Can I do Safely While Pregnant
Excercise can be an important part of your pregnancy. While you probably arent going to typically feel like running a marathon while pregnant, many women do experience a number of benefits from exercise while pregnant, including:
– an increased sense of self control
– a relief of backache
– reduction of constipation
– better sleep
– stress relief
– a body that is more prepared for birth
– a body that is more prepared for postpartum weight loss.
There are some exercises that are particularly good for pregnant women. Walking and swimming are some of the best exercises for anyone, and the pregnant woman is no exception. Walking and swimming both work the major muscle groups, work to strengthen your heart, and carry very little risk of injury.
Yoga is another beneficial form of exercise during pregnancy. Not only does it help you stay fit, it helps improve your energy level and allows you to become more in tune or intimate with your body. Yoga can help with the aches and pains of pregnancy and with mental issues such as moodiness. In turn, yoga can help you have a smooth pregnancy and natural childbirth.
Some women have had success with Pilates, jogging, dancing, water aerobics, biking and even weight training during pregnancy. Of course, you should check with your physician before starting or continuing any exercise regimen while pregnant. In general, it is best to avoid exercises that cause bouncing, jarring, leaping, sudden directional changes, or risks of abdominal injury.
There are several other things to keep in mind while exercising when pregnant. These include:
– Keep your exercise at a moderate level. Save those high-intensity workouts for a while after childbirth.
– Keep in tune with your body. Recognize when you are fatigued, and pay attention to your heart rate.
– Make sure you are getting enough liquids both before and after exercise to avoid dehydration.
– While you are pregnant, you will get hotter quicker. Avoid becoming overheated, especially during the first trimester.
– Make sure that your exercises include a combination of strength, aerobic, and flexibility exercises.