Is it safe to use Proactiv solution for acne while pregnant?
Pregnancy is a time of radically changing hormones. These hormone changes can cause a variety of symptoms, including acne. For women who are especially prone to acne, you may find that your acne increases. As your hormones change, your skin may produce more oils; this is the cause of the “glow” that many pregnant women seem to have. This can also cause an outbreak of acne. Acne during pregnancy can occur all over your body, not just on your face.
Proactiv solution is a full system used for acne control. It involves the use of a renewing cleanser, a revitalizing toner, and a repairing lotion. The makers of Proactiv recommend that you consult with your health care provider before using Proactiv or any acne medication during pregnancy.
General treatments for acne during pregnancy can include:
– Keep your skin clean. After cleaning, rinse thoroughly with lukewarm water to remove any soap residue that might be left over. Use an oil-free facial cleanser, and avoid soaps that contain oils or other irritating substances.
– Keep your hands off those pimples. As tempting as it is to pop them or pick at them, this can cause the bacteria to spread. Picking at them can create acne scars.
– Always discuss the use of any kind of medication, including over-the-counter treatments, with your health care provider.
– Exercise. Regular daily exercise can help to increase blood flow to the skin, and will help it to be more tone and stay more healthy.
– Avoid stress. In addition to causing acne, stress can be harmful to you and to your baby.
– Stay away from any acne medications that contain Tetracycline, Salicyclic Acid (a common ingredient in over-the-counter acne treatments), Tretinon (sold under the brand name Retin-A), and Isotrentinoin (sold under the brand name Accutane).
Over-the-counter Acne treatments that include benzoyl peroxide have been tested as safe to use while pregnant. A prescription treatment called Oral erythromycin is an alternative to tetracycline that is safe for use in pregnant women and young children. There are also many natural skin-care products that may be safe for both you and baby. Here again, it is always best to check with your health care provider as to the safety of a specific product.
The primary medicinal ingredient in Proactiv solution is benzoyl peroxide.